lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine/Trans Alignment

I need to align my engine and trans. It's hard to choke out $200 for the tool. Does anyone have any specs on this tool or know where I might find them? From looking at the picture is would be very easy to make. Or does anyone have any suggestions to do this without the tool? I had pulled the engine to have it rebuilt and now my belt will squeal when it warms up. I don't think I have back in the right place. I have loosened the bolts and moved it around a couple of times but it is still making noise. Thanks for any replies. Mike
mikes3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Engine/Trans Alignment

I've never seen the tool you mention.
What year is your cart and what engine? I don't think there is any side to side alignment adjustment for the DS.
I know there are two spacers on the back of the FE290 block where the two studs bolt to the transaxle that need to be there that locate the whole assembly.
How old is your belt?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

Sorry guys, reckon I left out the important stuff. 1996 Carryall 1 with a FE 290. TLS CC 1001 Clutch Aligning Tool Club Car 1984-1996 or CC part #1014498
Old 10-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I believe it is supposed to be 9-5/8" center to center from crankshaft to trans input shaft.
Measure with a ruler or tape, try to be within 1/8" or so. IMO a bit on the further apart end is usually better to prevent belt slip.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I believe it is supposed to be 9-5/8" center to center from crankshaft to trans input shaft.
Measure with a ruler or tape, try to be within 1/8" or so. IMO a bit on the further apart end is usually better to prevent belt slip.
Yes, and some go as much as 1/2" forward if you can to to give the same effect as installing a 1" shorter belt which really helps on low end torque and takeoff.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #6
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the replies. I don't have a problem moving forward or back, the problems is left and right. when the clutches ae running they are offset and that is where the squeal comes from. the alignment tool will remedy that. I may not be loosening the bolts enough, I don't know. I might try removing the bolts completely and setting the engine where I think it goes and then reinstall the bolts. thanks again
Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Can you post a picture of your clutches? Did you replace the clutches and/or belt recently?

There is not much room to wiggle left/right. The holes in the cradle are slotted to allow forward/back adjustment but are not wide enough to give more than maybe 1/8” left/right adjustment.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

yes sir I will try and get a pic this evening for you. thanks
Old 10-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Believe it or not, I have an actual Club Car clutch aligning tool!

I bought it from my CC dealer about 13 years ago,
I was out in the repair shop and asked... "What's that?"
he explained, and said that my cart isn't adjustable, so it's useless to me,
I asked if I could buy one, (thinking of my buddies 94)
he took it off the wall and said "We don't use it very much... $125.00?" so I bought it.

Here's the problem, you have to remove both clutches in order to use it,
Well... my buddies driven (rear) clutch wouldn't come off without destroying it,
So it's been collecting dust ever since.
The only time I've used it was to advise members on the 9-5/8" center to center.

I might consider selling it,
but forewarning... it's a "one-time use tool" if your not a repair shop that works on pre-97 CC's.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
mikes3028
Not Yet Wild

i was thinking only the driven clutch had to be removed. the tool slides over the shaft and falls forward and should be within .060 of the side of drive clutch. I don't know but that is the info I have. sorry I haven't gotten around to get the pics yet. we have been out of town. I will try and get them in the next day or two. thanks for the reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car