lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Cb750
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Need some confirmation (starter related)

I've begun having issues with my 97 DS. The starter will spin until it gets to the compression stroke, then it stops. If you hold the pedal down, it eventually gets past and spins the motor to the next compression stroke. When it first started I cleaned all the connections and it seemed to help, but now it's back to the same thing. Last night I opened up the starter to inspect the brushes, they were ok, But there was a lot of black fiber like stuff in it. However I still filed them down to remove anything that might be an issue. I also put the armature in my lathe and cleaned/squared up the commutator. So far, no improvement. I've even run jumper cables from a good car battery directly to the starter with no change. I'm getting ready to go out and do a compression check (Motor spins fine with the plug out) and pull the valve cover off to watch/adjust the valves. I've also adjusted he belt looser and looser with no change. The starter was new this past summer. (eBay special) Other than replacing the starter with a better unit, is there something I am missing, or something elseI can do to rule out a weak starter? I hate to just throw parts at a problem.

:edit: compression is ~110 and valves are doing what they do.
Cb750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Need some confirmation (starter related)

Starter is junk. Buy one from one of our site sponsors and you’ll get a decent one rather than an eBay boat anchor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #3
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Truth!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Cb750
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Starter is junk. Buy one from one of our site sponsors and you’ll get a decent one rather than an eBay boat anchor.
Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check compression again once you get a new starter and make sure to hold the throttle wide open by hand. 110 is pretty low. If valves are out of adjustment it can cause a lower reading or if it’s a 97 it may be due for a rebuild. 165-170 is about where it should be. If 110 is right, she ain’t got too much left in her. Fortunately parts are cheap to rebuild and it’s rare they ever need an overbite job.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
Cb750
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Check compression again once you get a new starter and make sure to hold the throttle wide open by hand. 110 is pretty low. If valves are out of adjustment it can cause a lower reading or if it’s a 97 it may be due for a rebuild. 165-170 is about where it should be. If 110 is right, she ain’t got too much left in her. Fortunately parts are cheap to rebuild and it’s rare they ever need an overbite job.
I'll check it again. The new starter is in and cranks it over better than the old one. I figure the weak compression numbers is from the starter having trouble, and me helping it by hand. I don't know when I can check it, it might not be until monday. I've got another motor to rebuild, so when that happens it'll go to my cart and this motor can go to the next one. But that's still a ways off.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
Cb750
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Checked compression last night, it was 170+ psi
Old 10-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb750 View Post
Checked compression last night, it was 170+ psi
Good deal
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car