lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Rockunlimited2
Not Yet Wild

Default clutch set up for Predator 420, what PRM to engage?

I am lost when it comes to CVTs. I am TRYING to swap in a predator 420 in place of a Honda 250cc 2-stroke but I am at a loss with what engagement RPM to set the clutch. I have found a place online that has the replacement arms and springs with the RPM chart to show engagement RPMs. My question is; the predator idles at 1700 rpm, makes peak torque (18.4) at 2500 rpm and tops out at 3500 rpm (Not counting removing the gov or all of the kits I am just being made aware of on this site). Do I want the clutch to engage just off idle (Say 1850 rpm) or at peak torque to let the CVT do its job? This is for my wife's toy so it will be mostly cruising but she does occasionally get aggressive and want to rip up the beach. Driving mostly on dirt/forest trails or out on wide open sandy beaches. Thank you for any help (It is a Salsbury (Comet 780) drive clutch).
Rockunlimited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: clutch set up for Predator 420, what PRM to engage?

I would set it to idle at maybe 1000 at most, set the clutch to engage at 2200. Make it 2500 if you want it to engage harder, or 1800 if you want it smoother. In that range to what needs you have for the cart. Mine is at 2200 right now and seems to still pull trailers and stuff fine. I can get the front tires off the ground but it does better at 2500 for pure performance use (like if I only trail rode it, but I use it for everything).

I do have a cut and ported head, 4 degree key, HD springs and 1.3 ratio rockers in it. Plus a header into a car muffler and a car airbox. Its jetted richer. Still all stock in the block other than removed governor.

Your shift rpm is another animal, stock clone you want it right at 3600-3800 or so to get full power. Mine likes 4K rpm better. That is rpm it will stay at WOT as you gain speed, once you get moving, until it is fully shifted then rpm will go up more.

If you use the stock clone muffler or something that does not flow more, you may want your shift rpm to stay under 3600.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
TQC
Getting Wild

The stock 780 is about 1700 (at least mine is). With the idle reduced, it works really well with my stock 14 hp kohler (429 clone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: clutch set up for Predator 420, what PRM to engage?

The weight you get will determine shift rpm, try to find out what the stock setup is for golf carts and go from there. If they have different springs, stronger will require more weight to keep same rpm, strong spring will make rpm higher on its own.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps