lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Melex Gas Cart

I have a Melex Gas Cart that has been lifted, and has 22" tires. It has the red motor which I beleive is the larger one. It will not climb as good as my stock ezgo electric with 20" tires. I have always heard that gas carts will do better than electric. I bought a belt from Nagy Carts in Arizona, (I beleive it was Arizona), but it didn't help. The guy there said there were 2 belts, but I am pretty sure I got the right one. He said it was probably the belt, and not the clutch. Could the clutch cause this? The ones I have found online are fairly expensive.
I bought it from my brother, who is kinda rough on stuff, so it has to be built like a tank. My brother said he adjusted the govenor of the carb to make it go faster, but I wouldn't think this would make it not climb as well. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

How can I determine the year model? I beleive I read that the red motor is a 1997 or newer.
Thanks.
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex Gas Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeerman View Post
I have a Melex Gas Cart that has been lifted, and has 22" tires. It has the red motor which I beleive is the larger one. It will not climb as good as my stock ezgo electric with 20" tires. I have always heard that gas carts will do better than electric. I bought a belt from Nagy Carts in Arizona, (I beleive it was Arizona), but it didn't help. The guy there said there were 2 belts, but I am pretty sure I got the right one. He said it was probably the belt, and not the clutch. Could the clutch cause this? The ones I have found online are fairly expensive.
I bought it from my brother, who is kinda rough on stuff, so it has to be built like a tank. My brother said he adjusted the govenor of the carb to make it go faster, but I wouldn't think this would make it not climb as well. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

How can I determine the year model? I beleive I read that the red motor is a 1997 or newer.
Thanks.
[ATTACH]use10 (Large).JPG[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4792 (Large).JPG (161.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg use1 (Large).JPG (156.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg use7.jpg (167.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Just Plain Crazy
Not Yet Wild

You are right the RED Motor is the newer motor.I had that same motor in my gas cart, I couldn't make it faster no matter what I tried. I was told to offset the motor 7 degrees this would do what I needed. I tore the motor out instead and put a 660 Artic cat motor in it. The guy I sold the motor too put it in his cart and now with no Mods it flys, The only thing I could tell you is try to find a COMET DRIVE CLUTCH, these seem to be the best for what your looking for. Go to MELEX CLUB and look at the pics of my Melex.
Just Plain Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is plenty /too fast, it just won't climb as I expected it to. I have the 22" tires on it, which I'm sure are part of the problem. What do you mean by offsetting the motor? Is that something to do with the timing of the engine?
How do I get to Melex Club?
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Just Plain Crazy
Not Yet Wild

I mean off set the engine by loosening the mounting bolts and turn the motor 7 to 12 degrees to the left or right this will give you more use of the drive clutch and the driven clutch. I don't think the tires are the problem ( 22" rims) It sounds like a clutch problem but which one is going to be hard to figure out. I'll ask around and get back to you.
JPC
Just Plain Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

KD, a thought if it goes fast it is shifting out through both clutches. Not climbing may mean a broken or weak spring in the secondary clutch. Just thinnen.
GOOD LUCK
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, Do you know if you can replace the springs? These clutches are fairly expensive.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am not familiar with melex carts, sorry
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What is the size (width and length) of your belt? I have a 512 Melex (don't know if its red or blue). I can't seem to find a supplier of melex belts. Also, the brake cable of ezgo txt seems to be applicable to the melex.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex