Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
bmarsh
Not Yet Wild

Default 65 Jato Walker Executive

I found an old Jato Walker Executive in the weeds at my uncle's house. After some fierce negotiations, I drug it home. It looks like someone has done a restoration at one point. The engine isn't stuck and the carb/tank has no rust. The wiring will all need to be replaced though. The engine turns over, but couldn't get spark. Points look clean and the coil has 2 ohms between +/- and about 8,000 ohms between the +/tower. I think the coil is good, so will swap the points and condenser to see if that helps. The driveline looks good, but there is no linkage for the brakes. It appears that a bracket is broken, so will need to find a way to get the brakes hooked up. I hope to get it running in the next couple of weeks and hit the road. Our city allows golf carts on designated streets and my wife plans to use it for garage sales. I took a bunch of pictures, and hope to update the thread when time allows. Looks like a fun project and kids are pumped. My only concern is getting reliable brakes on a 50 year cart so it is safe for the kids to ride around in. I may get it running and see if i can trade for something newer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 008.jpg (206.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 009.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 011.jpg (206.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 019.jpg (223.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 010.jpg (209.3 KB, 0 views)
bmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
cramblit26
I'm 'That Guy"!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 65 Jato Walker Executive

Cool Lookin' retro buggy, good luck on the restoration and hope everything comes together nicely for you!!!
cramblit26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
kurtatkars
Not Yet Wild

The old Walker's used a "automatic" brake system. When you let off the throttle the brakes would apply. It wasn't a real good design & needed periodic adjustment. The brake linings were built into the drum at the pinion flange & steel shoes applied when the throttle is released. They didn't have a parking brake per say, whay you had is what you had. I can remember these carts being pulled out of the lake cause the brakes didn't hold on a hill. Looks like a good project. Good luck!!
kurtatkars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
kurtatkars
Not Yet Wild

If i got these to load right, here's some pics of what the brake linkage should look like. I just finished a restoration on one of these. I'm missing the correct handle bar. I may have something newer to trade if you abandon the resto project. Kurt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart 009.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 012.jpg (219.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 011.jpg (206.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart 007.jpg (219.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

very cool ole cart..that would be sweet with a long travel front and rear with 2 tires up front
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
bmarsh
Not Yet Wild

Kurt,
Thanks for the pictures, unfortunately, it appears the brake assembly has been replaced with one from a motorcycle. The bracket is still on throttle rod, but the rod that rides against the brake is missing. I will PM you to discuss a trade, my garage isn't big enough for a lot of fabrication for a restoration, so I spend a lot of time working on it in the driveway. My wife wants something to drive around town and the campground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Brakes 001.jpg (210.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Brakes 003.jpg (215.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Brakes 004.jpg (205.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
kurtatkars
Not Yet Wild

Looks like someone spent some real time hookin up the motorcycle brake!!! Probably didn't work much better than the original though Did your uncle save any of the original pieces??? Even if the "iron" was still around it could be rebuilt, like the seat pieces. I do need the tiller steering bar. Here's my email
kurtatkars@consolidated.net
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
bmarsh
Not Yet Wild

Nope, the only parts I got are what is on it. He bought it the way it is and didn't do anything to it, including trying to get it to run.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration