lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Jwalker
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo motor check

So i have a ezgo 36v pds golfcart. I was riding for awhile when it just stoped working. Checked the speed controler by running a few ohm test and it showed bad. Now my question is i replaced it and solenoid and when i plugged it up and pressed the pedal ot popped again. Now i have tested the motor with a 12 battry and it spins but im getting ohms between a1 and f1 of 0.47 Would that cause my controler to go out. Some golfcart shops are telling me thats not why and some are saying that would cause it. I know the check list says it should have none. I attached a picture of the test and results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201025_201541.jpg (212.1 KB, 0 views)
Jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo motor check

Need to know the unit of measurement for those readings. (Ω, KΩ or MΩ)

A short between the armature and field windings can take out a stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206SX) since it has no short protections on the outputs.

If the replacement PDS controller is blown also, replace it with an Alltrax XXCT48400-PDS, which is user programmable and has short protected outputs.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Jwalker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Need to know the unit of measurement for those readings. (Ω, KΩ or MΩ)

A short between the armature and field windings can take out a stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206SX) since it has no short protections on the outputs.

If the replacement PDS controller is blown also, replace it with an Alltrax XXCT48400-PDS, which is user programmable and has short protected outputs.
so i just went and tested again ill post the results. my controller is a curtis pmc 73326g02

Ω ol.
KΩ o.l or .ol
MΩ .475 or .48

MΩ was what my meter set to auto
Old 10-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
so i just went and tested again ill post the results. my controller is a curtis pmc 73326g02

Ω ol.
KΩ o.l or .ol
MΩ .475 or .48

MΩ was what my meter set to auto
That is the EZGPO part number for a Curtis 1206SX.

So there is roughly 475,000Ω between A1 and F1. That indicates the motor has a lot of carbon dust from the brushes has built up, but the resulting resistance probably isn't low enough to take out the controller.

What is the unit of measurement for the "40" given for F1 to motor case?
(Even if it is 40Ω, it shouldn't take out the controller since that will only pass 1A or less at 40V or less.)

---------
The motor needs to be serviced.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Jwalker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That is the EZGPO part number for a Curtis 1206SX.

So there is roughly 475,000Ω between A1 and F1. That indicates the motor has a lot of carbon dust from the brushes has built up, but the resulting resistance probably isn't low enough to take out the controller.

What is the unit of measurement for the "40" given for F1 to motor case?
(Even if it is 40Ω, it shouldn't take out the controller since that will only pass 1A or less at 40V or less.)

---------
The motor needs to be serviced.
I have removed the engine to see if it was nasty looking or not and this is what I see. Also ill attach a picture the motor and readings but what i saw was KΩ 32.36
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201026_204910.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201026_170740.jpg (264.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have removed the engine to see if it was nasty looking or not and this is what I see. Also ill attach a picture the motor and readings but what i saw was KΩ 32.36
Needs to be serviced. (Thorough cleaning, new brushes and new bearing. Commutator may also need to be dressed.)

Between what two points was the 32KΩ or 33KΩ obtained? (That is the resistance of the carbon dust between them)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Jwalker
Not Yet Wild

The 33 was from F1 to the motor case. And im gonna have it looked at tomorrow. I have a new speed controller coming in and wanna make sure its not gonna be destroyed when i plug it up. The new one let loose as soon as i pushed the pedal again. But you dont think that was from the short between a1 to f1?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The 33 was from F1 to the motor case. And im gonna have it looked at tomorrow. I have a new speed controller coming in and wanna make sure its not gonna be destroyed when i plug it up. The new one let loose as soon as i pushed the pedal again. But you dont think that was from the short between a1 to f1?
There is almost half a Mega-Ohm between A1 and F1, so there will only be about 100 Micro-amps of cross talk at the most, but I wouldn't connect a controller to that motor until it had at least been cleaned out.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #9
Jwalker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
There is almost half a Mega-Ohm between A1 and F1, so there will only be about 100 Micro-amps of cross talk at the most, but I wouldn't connect a controller to that motor until it had at least been cleaned out.
so the motor has been cleaned and now i don't have continuity on a1 to f1 when red is on the a1 and black is on the f1. but when red is on f1 and black is on a1 it shows continuity. is that normal? all other test are well.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
so the motor has been cleaned and now i don't have continuity on a1 to f1 when red is on the a1 and black is on the f1. but when red is on f1 and black is on a1 it shows continuity. is that normal? all other test are well.
No it is not normal. Should be open in both polarities.

I don't even know how those readings are possible, there's no diodes or rectifiers inside a DC traction motor.

What are the actual Ohm readings?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO