lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
123powertoon
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 Cushman Truckster

I am hoping someone might know how to adjust governor / carb linkage, on an OMC 2 cylinder Cushman engine. The engine will not accelerate, when the pedal is depressed. The only way to increase the RPMs, is by moving the carb linkage by hand.
Thanks, John
123powertoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1977 Cushman Truckster

The manual that you need for the OMC engines can be found on the www.sillylittlecars.com website. From the main screen, click on "Manuals", Then "Shop Manuals in the text on the next screen. Then click on this "826767 - Haulster & Turf-Truckster Service Manual Supplement.pdf ". It will give you all of the OMC engine information for both the 18 & 22 hp versions of this motor. BTW The only significant difference between these is the cylinders. The 18 hp has the spark plugs below center on the cylinder, and the 22 hp version has the spark plugs located above center on the cylinder. The compression ratio is higher on the 22 hp model to increase the horsepower. Both cylinders on a 2 cylinder engine are identical with identical intake and exhaust valves, so only 1 part number. When I last checked, the cylinders, and even a completely factory new short block were still available, if you can afford them (about $1,500 with exchange for the short block). At one time there was a 1 cylinder version of this OMC engine. It was used in one model of Cushman Scooters. Again, with almost all of the parts, cylinder, gaskets, valves, etc. all common between them.

Frequently, the bellows assembly that controls the cylinder temperature by opening and closing doors in the flywheel/fan housing have gone bad and I never found a replacement source for these. I removed mine, and drilled and threaded a hole in the flywheel/fan housing right next to each fan housing door so that the edge of the head of a bolt would catch on the door and hold it against the casting, keeping full air flow across the fins on the head. I don't get any cab heat, but this never worked well anyway. You may need to control the engine temperature in the Northern parts of the World, but my engine works fine here in North Carolina without temperature control, as long as the cylinders get good air flow.

I'm back, finally.

An issue with my password and no response from the website when I requested a password reset multiple times has kept me off of this site for over a year. My last post was June 16, 2019. Even messages to the webmaster@buggiesgonewild,com went nowhere. Tonight I got a response when I asked again to have my password reset, and I'm back on. I had all but given up, until tonight.

Now that I'm back I'll do my best to help others with older Cushman questions, but my experience is mostly limited to 1980's to 1990's Cushman Trucksters and the features of other models that are common to what I have. My own Truckster is a 1987 four wheeler, but I did have a 1989 Police three wheeler with OMC engine too, for a while. I have found quite a few alternate sources and fixes to keep my Truckster running, many of which are in my earlier posts.

It's good to be back, finally.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
governor adjustment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts