lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default Re: First gas golf cart, Sanyo 4 seater

Looks good man! Can't wait to see it when the rear is lifted!

That cart is cool, has all the good stuff on it, 4 wheel brakes, rack and pinion steering, four forward facing seats. Great find on the cart!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

I started on the rear cradle this weekend, and got the Subaru ex40 mounted. I wasn’t totally happy with its placement because I want to be able to find Common belts for it, and it’s current location forces me to use an oddball. I also have an almost new Kohler ch730 v twin that came off a busted welder my buddy gave me. So I started down a rabbit hole that escalated quickly. The Kohler shaft is 1” and will fit the clutch I got from Vegas Carts, but has no keyway. So all morning yesterday I ended up disassembling the engine to get the crankshaft out to be milled. Lol I woke up with a mostly mounted perfectly good ex40 in the cradle, and by noon I had a blown apart v twin on my bench and a crankshaft at the machine shop! Ah the allure of more power!

Not having the pressure of finishing the cradle actually helped me use my time to sort out other small issues like extending the brake lines. Hopefully the machine shop will be done later this week and I can start working towards making the cart move again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D3DA6762-543B-41D6-A711-2FE8C5C3727A.jpg (234.5 KB, 0 views)
Warkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

That V-Twin ought to move the cart around nicely!!

Any clue what diff/transmission is in that cart? Would be awesome if there were a set of High Speed gears available for it. With all that torque you would be able to cruise at 20mph just off of idle I'd imagine!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

There is not a single word or marking or casting on this rear differential. It kinda drives me crazy not being able to find out anything about it. 20mph has been my top speed goal since the beginning lol, I think with the engine upgrade (I’ve read these kohlers can spin 9k rpms with the right stuff) and considering how stiff the stock valve springs are, I’m hoping 4500 rpms is safe in its current state. Original top speed was 11mph governed, tires alone should get me 2-3mph, new drive clutch is hopefully good for a few mph, and 25% more rpms hopefully means I’m in the Low 20’s pinned.

I got the rear cradle tacked in and swingarm mounted today. I just HAD to mount the new wheels and rest it on the new springs. Man it looks sweet!! The RZR coils are super stiff, like 1/4” droop at rest, but I also need to add back the engine, framework for the bed, and bed itself. That, plus passengers will soften it up I hope. If not, I’ll be on the hunt for lighter coils or a lighter coil over in general that’s around 18” eye to eye. Tomorrow I get the oil seal, and I’ll hopefully get the engine back together and mounted by this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6774BA09-B365-4EEB-AEBE-28B63BE0D707.jpg (164.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

This looks to be the governor arm here. I would try loosening the bolt and see if that governor will move freely. That would allow for some more speed where the governor won't kick in. Just an easy thing to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 11.33.15 AM.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Well Ive had a few busy weeks since last post, but all in one weekend day I got the engine put back together (with replacement parts For ones that I broke) and got it mounted in the swingarm. After a quick look at the wiring on the engine and the existing cart wiring, I got my ignition, ground, and coil wiring all hooked up. Cart fired right up!! I was even lucky enough to have the original vtwin exhaust squeeze in temporarily. I ordered a diy header kit that should be here next week in order to move the current exhaust and mount the rear seats again.

Btw, the Kohler rips! Between the governor on the axle (thanks for the tip about disconnecting it) and the engine, and new drive clutch, I’ve officially more than doubled my speed. I don’t have the tach hooked up yet but my gps app says 23mph and I’m probably not even much past 4000rpm.

Now it’s lights, wiring cleanup, get the bed on, and eventually paint. It’s so fun!
Old 06-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thats awesome man! Glad you figured out the Gov issue. Try to post up a video of that beast if you can!
Old 06-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #18
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

It’s been so hot here in central CA that it’s hard to get much done before I’m cooked. I made good progress this week. My diy header kit came in, got it from Robertson’s Torque Tubes. Great guy, but you have to order over the phone. I had to find a few adapters, swell and bend some pipe, and chop up the original welders exhaust to create my masterpiece. It all fits great, looks great and sounds mean. I only have the smaller secondary welder muffler quieting things down, but there is significantly more pipe for the exhaust to run through to tame it. I had some leftover header wrap from another project so I wrapped the whole system to try and keep things cooler under the seat. I also got a small digital tach to place on the dash to mount my rpms, hopefully that will go on this weekend.

The Kawasaki mule bed is done too I cut it down so it’s only about 29” deep, and repainted/bed lined it. As soon as I’m 100% done with the engine compartment I can get this thing looking and working like a real utv/cart. More pics to come as I’m planning to knock a few things out this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68E8322F-D3F6-4111-B01F-71B4BC948A9A.jpg (226.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7D3BDF9F-31A9-4BAC-BC9A-AA85E5D5B10E.jpg (235.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4814ABD9-8099-457E-A4F2-9BB1417529A8.jpg (235.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #19
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Great work, that exhaust looks great. The smile on your face in the first pic says it all! Keep us posted, cant wait to see this thing start looking like a cart again!
Old 08-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #20
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Well we’ve been ripping around on this beast all summer with no top and no bed, and it’s been a blast. I finally got around to getting the bed substructure and bed bolted on, as well as welding up the broken top. Without further ado, here is she is in her yet-unpainted glory! I present to you what my kids have named, “The Dusty Bus”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86FC0AEA-3314-4125-BF65-ABEC3540189C.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 21849F09-0798-4CF1-9E18-344C9738D937.jpg (142.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4576E7AE-E064-4BC9-9D02-B212FA3062B6.jpg (158.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts