lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Default First gas golf cart, Sanyo 4 seater

I just got a new project, and I hope I’m not in too deep already. It was basically free so hard to say no. It’s an unknown year Sanyo 4 seat. The Kawasaki 290 is shot, and I’m planning on replacing it with a Subaru ex40 I have. I’ve started to disassemble things to get to the engine, and I’m having trouble finding any info about what parts this cart may have. Does anyone know if Sanyo used their own parts or other manufacturers? For example, the rear axle....does it look familiar to anyone? Here are some pics of the rear diff.
Warkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: First gas golf cart, Sanyo 4 seater

As I find out more info, I’m going to post here for anyone else’s future use on one of these Sanyo carts. It looks like the axle is proprietary to Sanyo. It doesn’t match any other common rear axles to my eyes. Also, I found out that this cart wasn’t working simply because the driven pulley key and retaining bolt had fallen out! Score for an easy fix! The key is 1/4x1/4 which I had, and the retainer bolt was a metric M8, get one at least 60mm long to have about 3/4” thread engagement. 60mm was the longest I could find at my local hardware store.

I also ordered a shorter belt to improve clutch engagement. The original belt is 46-1/2 inches in circumference approximately, and 1-1/8 inches wide. I went to napa to search a shorter replacement and found a Gates 6314, 45” around, 30mm wide. It’s close, and I’ve yet to install it, so I’m hopeful at this point.

The wheels are not standard 4 on 4 pattern. They are 4 on 108 or 4 on 4.25. Spacers exist to convert to 4 on 4, and I may cross this bridge depending on how my progressive upgrades work. I would like to get new tires, and I’ll have to make my own brackets to lift it. The suspension is very simple, and I think adding braced 3” longer brackets or diy spacers will allow me to clear 22” tires. The rear cradle is very simple, and I will drop this 3” with brackets and hopefully longer coilover shocks. The front also looks to be liftable with dropping the piece that contains the steering ram and lower A arms, and extending or finding new struts. I will need to cut and extend the steering shaft as well. If not, 20” will clear as of now.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Here are my learnings with the belt. I had to take off the axle u-bolt to get the driven pulley off. The belt can only go on this way because the driven pulley is too close to the axle tube to squeeze the belt off. Once the u-bolt is off, the pulley cam slide horizontally off the shaft. The Gates 6314 belt works, but is the absolute shortest it can be and still fit. I had to wedge the driven pulley back on the shaft with the handle of a hammer. My top speed went from 11mph to 14mph, but the belt is so tight that it won’t freewheel or roll when not running. It’s like pushing the cart it as though it were in gear essentially. I don’t know if it’s worth the trade off at this point. The starter takes too much torque that it drains my (admittedly dead and at least 10yo) battery. I’m beginning to think I’ll just run this Kawasaki 290 until it’s toast then swap the big block in when I need to. It burns oil, most likely from piston rings vs valve seals, so I’ll put it through it’s paces until it gives up the ghost.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Well I officially dove head first into this one and am continuing to learn. I purchased new wheels and tires, 22x11x10 MJFX Predators and SS black wheels and the spacers to fit them. The stock wheel pattern is 4x110mm, and the wheels are 4x4. The aluminum adapters I got from ezAccessory.com are 1” thick.

I also obviously need to lift the cart. No one makes a bolt on kit so I got to measuring. The front is sprung with struts that are welded in to the lower control arm. The rear is a cradle type engine/axle carrier like so many other carts, and had 12” shocks. The front also measured about 12” mount to mount. So I headed to APF motorcycle salvage nearby and scored some hopeful treasures. Knowing I had to lift the cart about 7” to clear the rubber, I picked up rear shocks from a 2009 Polaris RZR. They are 18.5” eye to eye and are seemingly stiffer than stock. This will hopefully work well because I’m adding a cut-down Kawasaki mule bed that I got there as well. For the front, after measuring many otherYamaha, Polaris and BRP quad struts, I found that a Yamaha grizzly 660 has 20” struts and carries a similar amount of weight up front (At least in my mind). To my absolute amazement the strut tops are 100% identical! Not sure if that’s a standard across atv struts, but I’m very happy. The new struts fit perfectly into the upper frame sockets. The lower potion will need to be customized to fit the lower control arms. The strut bases are very close at around 1.75” in diameter. I cut the original struts with a cutoff wheel, and will most likely weld the replacement struts to them. As far as the lower control arm mounts, I can simply drop those with a custom steel bracket Im welding up and extend the steering shaft with a sleeve. I’m looking forward to welding more this weekend when it’s not 107*!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Hey there Wark, that is an interesting cart you have there! I never even realized Sanyo was in the golf cart game, really cool find, especially being a 4 seater with both sets of seats facing forward! Also, correct me if I am wrong, but that looks like you have drum brakes on the front wheels too? 4-wheel brakes is very cool and something I wish I had on my Yamaha G2 considering the hills I like to go up and down!

Can you share some more info about the cart? Where did you find it? How much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you have any pictures of it with the hatches all closed up? It would be cool to see what it looks like all buttoned up!

Good find on the ATV shocks, after doing the lift on my G2 I needed to replace my 30+ year old factory shocks up front. Rather than paying close to $100/ea for stock replacements, I spent half of that on some new motorcycle shocks and they work great!

I'll be following along to see your progress, keep up the good work!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the kind words J-ROB. Yes it does have front drums, and their presence makes it a bit more challenging to lift...brackets for brake lines, etc. if it were just spindles I think I’d have more options for retrofit knuckles and strut options.

I got the cart from a buddy of mine in a package deal...unbeatable and worked in both our favors. He is not the most mechanically inclined and I love getting my hands dirty on projects, so I got an old tractor, a 2003 Suzuki 50 quad, and this cart for a grand. All three were in running order within a week!

Here’s a pic of it whole....with new shoes just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18570521-157C-4B92-A848-FA1B408DBB1B.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It took me a moment to realize that the wheels are just sitting there for show, but I really like that open wheel look. It looks like the moon buggy.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thats a cool looking cart, and that was a good deal for sure!

I hear what you're saying about the brakes making the lift more difficult, but you'll be glad you have them if you do any off roading in it.

Keep us posted as you go!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

I got the extended front cradle squared up and welded. I tacked it first to see how much droop it had and how it sat under its own weight. Under its own weight with no passengers, the springs compress about 1/2”....i one it’s not over sprung. I’ll see once the frame is painted and finished later today.

As a side note, I know I’m not a great welder but I just got a Harbor Freight Titanium easy flux 125....omg I feel like a flux pro! Great little welder for a novice like me and it does a bang up job vs the one I had before.

As far as the struts go, I trimmed off all brackets so that the strut tubes were bare, kind of like how Polaris ATV struts mount deep pockets on the knuckles with pinch clamps. I repurposed the metal sleeves I cut off the struts and welded them to the (cast steel? Iron?) knuckles and they welded up very well I think. Now I’m off to get exhaust clamps to act as the pinch force for the strut tubes in their new pockets.

More to come, I’m hoping to be done with the front this weekend.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
Warkmeister
Not Yet Wild

Front is all finished! Brake line brackets got flipped for more clearance and I got the struts clamped in. I’m not 100% happy with the strut pockets. They allow the strut to be canted for too much camber. I can add a shim and reclamp to fix it though.

As far as the spring rate, it works very well I think! I don’t know the lbs per inch or anything but they cycle well, and have so much more travel than before! I took it for a test drive in the field and could actually see and feel what wheel travel is lol. Here is the strut tower pic as well as my own teaser to get working on the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 729DCEA0-1F62-4A6C-B3C6-9FD4F1F4109F.jpg (169.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 07706F9F-D81F-412A-8CAB-A32B978DFA18.jpg (175.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts