lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
tuktuk
Not Yet Wild

Default Swap ideas for a Tuktuk

Hello everyone. I have a 1981 Bajaj Autorickshaw from India that I love quite a bit. However, the thing I do not love is the absolute impossibility of getting parts for it. One of the things that keeps me from driving it all the time is reliability and parts concerns.

It currently has a 150cc 2 stroke engine mated to a 4 speed transmission that is a similiar package to what is in Vespa's from the 70's. All of this is mated to a Rear diff with reverse down to 8 inch wheels. While the motor is almost identical to the 70's vespa engines, it is different enough that almost none of the parts match, and with only about 500 of these things coming into the US in 1981, there are no parts anywhere in the US, and none from a "reputable" source in India

It is street legal and runs 30 mph wide open with 1-2 people and 27 with 4. The Tuktuk weighs about 600 lbs empty and is rated to carry 700, though at an indian event I had about 10 people on it driving around at 15mph "granny gears 1-3".

I would like to do an engine swap that would allow me to move a bit faster. 30 is fine, but 40-45 would be amazing. I'm just looking to be able to keep up on surface streets a little easier. I would also like an setup I can find parts for. I originally was thinking about a 4 wheeler swap, but was concerned about engine space, and going with a solid rear axle. I know there are rear dif units but I am trying to avoid spending 3-4 grand on this project, I would prefer to stay around the 2k mark. I have also considered swapping in a rear axle and diff from a golf cart and then doing a swap.

Am I living in a fantasy world asking for 40 mph from a golf cart axle and engine swap? Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. For an example of what the Tuk looks like "under the hood" you can see Colin Furze's Youtube video of him putting a 600cc motorcycle engine into a tuktuk. I would prefer to keep my rear seat intact and not sure about road drivabllity with a solid axle, or if I can keep rear suspension with the solid axle.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d5ntPLnn78&t=299s

tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: Swap ideas for a Tuktuk

I wish you all the success! I rode in many TukTuk in east Africa (Tanzania) during my time there. No doubt there are many engines & transaxles that could work depending on how much one wants to put into such a project.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Swap ideas for a Tuktuk

Looks like there's enough room in there for a solid axle and motor from a 4 wheeler or a Kawasaki Mule or some other kind of side by side.
Get ahold of a polaris 800 and that thing would roll 40+ no problem.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!