lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
TheHorseWhisperer
Not Yet Wild

Default Starting Issues

I've had a issue for some time now with my Club Car. It starts fine at times, but then it seems to not do anything or a weak start (like its trying to start but barely turning over like a weak battery would cause it to do). Does it when cold or hot doesn't seem to matter. It has a new battery, so I know that's good. It seems to be a random thing. I've taken it to a couple of different cart shops, but its always the same thing we replaced the fuel filter or it wasn't doing it when it was here. Any thoughts on what I could check first and maybe start eliminating things? TIA
TheHorseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starting Issues

If the cart is having a hard time turning over, you know its an electrical issue. So someone changing the fuel filter is just stupid.

you need to have a meter and you need to get the cart to act up. When you say new battery, im going to assume, its less than a month old?
Put cart in service mode, meter on the battery and get the cart to act up. Where does battery voltage fall when it does?
If voltage stays high, move the starter and see what voltage the starter is seeing when it acts up.
Generally, your issue will be battery, starter, solenoid, in that order. Other things can cause the issue, but most common is what I stated here.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
TheHorseWhisperer
Not Yet Wild

GCG_ Thanks for your response. And yes, the fuel filter was stupid for the shop to replace. When I say the battery is new, meaning I replaced it last year to try and fix this same issue and it made no difference. Its kind of random that it wont start, but I will place my multi meter on my cart to check when it does this. Its random, so its not every time you attempt to start the cart up. You can start/ride the cart all day and it may start perfectly every time, but then you may press the pedal and nothing or it slowly makes a very faint noise like its trying to start. You may have to wait for it or some times pressing the pedal repeatedly it will start and you can carry on.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check ALL your grounds: main negative cable from battery to frame, ground lead from engine to frame and maybe most critical for your issue the ground from the end cap of the starter generator the the frame. They get lose, frayed or corroded and the connections won't pass enough current.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
TheHorseWhisperer
Not Yet Wild

MEINK_Thanks for your response. I will definitely check the grounds. The more I read today, made me start thinking about the grounds. Although everything on my cart looks new and its been garage stored, I did see some rust (looks like the mounting bracket) at the base of the solenoid.

GCG_I did check the battery 12.8V and 11.8V while cranking.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Starters where know to loose some of there torque over time. This could be your issue, but an expensive guess to find out. But common issue
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
1arunem
Gone Wild

At times my Club Car would do something similar. When the engine comes to rest near compression stroke, the starter was a bit weak and would have a hard time overcoming the compression. If I pushed the pedal a few times or 'rolled' the engine a bit by hand it would eventually start.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
2Barn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Any resolution on this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
TheHorseWhisperer
Not Yet Wild

2Barn-no resolution to this problem as of now. I've since my last post replaced the micro switches and the solenoid, but still have the same problem. I did notice that the positive cable is really hot when this is happening. Sometimes I just keep depressing the accelerator pedal quickly and sometimes it will start. It makes a really sharp noise to, like the belt is rubbing lightly but the belt is not turning. Any other suggestions anyone?
Old 10-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Summerwood
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Anyway of removing your starter, and checking it out on the bench a couple of times ? Placing a meter on it to see the draw it’s pulling?

Seems to me, it’s a weak starter problem. Especially if positive wire is getting hot to touch.
Summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 club car gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car