lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #261
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone tried RoyPow lithium kit yet?

I have my Alltrax limited at 400 amps and that gives me plenty of performance for my needs. It does draw that much on hard acceleration based on my log files. Not for all that long - and my motor runs fairly cool - about 20 degrees above ambient on the case near the brushes.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #262
boosted4v
Not Yet Wild

been lurking around for a while. getting ready to pull the trigger on a cart build has anyone ran the plum quick executioner, 500 amp altrax, and had any issues with the roypow tripping the circuit breaker. will be running 22' tires on flat ground.
boosted4v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #263
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4v View Post
been lurking around for a while. getting ready to pull the trigger on a cart build has anyone ran the plum quick executioner, 500 amp altrax, and had any issues with the roypow tripping the circuit breaker. will be running 22' tires on flat ground.
Yes, I've got the 500A Alltrax, Executioner motor, 23 inch tires, and the 105ah RoyPow. On flat roads, I can run it wide open (36 mph) all day with no problems. If I try going wide open up an incline, then the RoyPow will reach its limit and shut down for a few seconds. I've learned to just back off a little on the gas pedal every 5 seconds or so and then the RoyPow won't shut down.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #264
boosted4v
Not Yet Wild

good deal thank you, would going to the 160ah battery make a difference?
boosted4v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #265
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4v View Post
good deal thank you, would going to the 160ah battery make a difference?
From what I've been told, no, it won't matter. However, they are supposed to be coming out with their new "P" model that is supposed to allow more current flow before shutting down. I don't believe that they are shipping them yet, though. Once they do, I will probably order the 160 "P" for my other cart.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #266
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking at their website only the 160AH "P" model S51160P would make a difference in sustained discharge rate.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #267
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Looking at their website only the 160AH "P" model S51160P would make a difference in sustained discharge rate.
That's the one I want if they ever start shipping them to the U.S.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #268
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The sad thing is that you get the exact same batteries but a better BMS than the inadequate ones they fit on the current model.

The "P" model should have been the only model marketed for golf carts from the start.

It seems to me there is a pretty big markup between the parts needed to build a lithium pack and the convenience of not having to build it yourself.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #269
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The sad thing is that you get the exact same batteries but a better BMS than the inadequate ones they fit on the current model.

The "P" model should have been the only model marketed for golf carts from the start.

It seems to me there is a pretty big markup between the parts needed to build a lithium pack and the convenience of not having to build it yourself.
I would imagine that on a stock cart the current RoyPow would be adequate and a large improvement. But most of us have bigger tires, bigger controllers and motors, etc., so the current RoyPow BMS could definitely be improved.

I didn't mind the investment as I really struggle with electrical stuff. I can build car engines, motorcycles, etc., but my mind just doesn't seem to understand electrical theories...
Old 10-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #270
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I would imagine that on a stock cart the current RoyPow would be adequate and a large improvement. But most of us have bigger tires, bigger controllers and motors, etc., so the current RoyPow BMS could definitely be improved.
I agree - always room for improvement.

That said, I was an early purchaser of the RoyPow 105ah. Never have had a BMS issue of any kind, and my cart has "bigger" everything (except gearing is stock).

I don't have any real hills though, which is a plus. But then a lot of folks don't have hills.

All depends on what conditions you'll be using it under. I can't imagine a stock cart with moderate tire sizes (even with a few hills) having an issue on the standard RoyPow, but given that a more robust BMS should have a negligible impact on their battery production cost, you'd think they'd put a beefier one in there just to head off any warranty issues on their end.

In configuring the BMS for a 72v system I'm (still) waiting on, it was maybe $40-$50 more for a higher current unit that should offer significantly more headroom, esp. since with 72v -vs- 51v the current load will be less.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium