lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Quieter Solenoid for your Hunting Buggy

This is a new thread to “un-highjack” (with no offence intended to those hijackers, I have been guilty of that myself ): http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...solenoids.html . I thought that this was an important enough subject on its own to warrant a new thread.

A number of BGW members have noted there is a problem with the heavy duty 400 amp solenoids being “too loud” for hunting buggy applications.

I recently replaced the solenoid / contactor in my 1998 Cushman 48v Utility Cart (Curtis 600 amp controller, GE 6.5 hp motor) with a Tyco Kilovac LEV200 Contactor – rated at 500 amp continuous. This contactor is a sealed unit that can “operate in explosive / harsh environments”. See attached LEV200 spec sheet for more rating information. I have also attached a Alltrax 400A spec sheet for comparison purposes, as this appears to be a common HD replacement solenoid used on carts today.

I installed the LEV200 Contactor and found it to be significantly quieter than my previous OEM solenoid (which I identified as a Ezgo / Club Car / Yamaha type … see attached photo). How quiet is the LEV200? Let’s say that I have to actually listen carefully when I turn on the key switch or I might miss it. When I engage my Fwd Rev Contactor (Curtis Albright SW202N-228, 48v), I find that it is a step or two louder than the LEV200 (not sure how many decibels per step!). I believe that the LEV200 is quieter due to it being a totally sealed unit.

As suggested by TahoeDawgZ71 (in the thread above), to help reduce the sound of a solenoid operating:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Mount it to a piece of rubber. It will serve as an insulator to help absorb some of the shock when it clicks, and build some sort of box around it to help enclose it. The 400 amp solenoids have much larger contactors than standard solenoids. Unfortunately, it's just in their nature to be louder. The SW200 is even louder.
In addition, I believe that the LEV200 is actually made in the USA.

See photos and specifications below.

Regards, 3CW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6038.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6048.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original Solenoid.JPG (71.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tyco Contactor - LEV200.pdf (476.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf sol400spec.pdf (204.9 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Quieter Solenoid for your Hunting Buggy

Very interesting. I experience the same problem when out in the woods. I ride in quietly, but if I let off the go pedal to cruise a little then press it back down again, CLICK!!! I might as well clap my hands one time.

It'd be great if you could shoot a video or sound clip of you engaging the solenoid to hear how much of a difference there is.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Good write up. The solenoid noise is definitely aggravating in the woods. That's why I love the IQ system. The solenoid will stay engaged unless you stop the car completely instead of clicking on and off every time you hit the pedal like a series car.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So it's a non issue with an IQ (precedent) and a series cart could be wired to activate with the key too.
The trouble comes when the solenoid is left latched for say 10 hours or more.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

It sounds like ScottyB's solution of wiring the solenoid directly to the key will help to prevent this problem in series carts. My Cushman is wired this way from the factory ... so not sure if any other problems could be induced by making this change to other carts.

I made a sound clip of the LEV200 solenoid noise levels but I was not able to post it to this forum (format was not on the BGW accepted list).

If you are interested, PM me with your email information and I can send you a copy of the sound clip - the file is about 2 MB. I am not able to PM you directly with an attachment on this forum.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

PM sent
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Scotty, what would the wiring diagram look like to have the solenoid engage from the key switch instead of the go pedal?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
So it's a non issue with an IQ (precedent) and a series cart could be wired to activate with the key too.
The trouble comes when the solenoid is left latched for say 10 hours or more.
True, but I'd never build a wire harness that way and put my name on it. Far too many people leave the key on.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post

It'd be great if you could shoot a video or sound clip of you engaging the solenoid to hear how much of a difference there is.
i too would like to hear the click

i am not a hunter but find it hard to believe it is loud enough to spook game
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i too would like to hear the click

i am not a hunter but find it hard to believe it is loud enough to spook game
I'm not sure whether it is, or isn't loud enough to spook game. I've never actually experienced that, but I know the big ones can be rather loud. I also know that 20-30 minutes before daylight in Jefferson County, Georgia in the middle of the woods has got to be one of the quietest places I've ever been in my life. All of the crickets and frogs that have been singing all night and have finally stopped, it's not daylight yet so the birds and squirrels haven't started making any noise. There is absolutely no noise at all. It's rather amazing actually. Man I can't wait until October.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts