lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
drharley98
Not Yet Wild

Default Star cart sudden slow speed only

Newbie post disclaimer. I have a 2007 Star Cart 48V 2WD that I use offroad mostly. A few weeks ago while going down hill, slightly uneven dirt road, but going relatively slow, it suddenly decreased to a slow speed only. I had a few heavy people on board as well. I got back to the house ok. Charge indicator says full charge. Wires on battery terminals all attached. When I press the gas, it will accelerate for 1 sec, then will stay in the slow creeping speed. I cleaned out the brakes as best I could with a hose since it was muddy. When I let off the gas, it brakes relatively quickly without even pressing the brake. Looking underneath, it looks like the calipers (not sure terminology) clamp and release reasonably well, but I did not take them apart.

Golf cart repair shop cant figure it out. Says that there is some kind of protective function that when something goes wrong, it automatically will decrease the speed of the cart to decrease further damage, but still allow you to creep back at a slow speed. Any suggestions or service manual links would be appreciated.
drharley98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
mlj427
Gone Wild

Default Re: Star cart sudden slow speed only

There have been problems like this on this forum before check the speed sensor on the end of the motor. Sometimes the sensor can be bad but most of the time there is corrosion in the plug. Check on here to see how to trouble shoot it.

Good luck
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
drharley98
Not Yet Wild

That worked perfectly. I wish I had checked the forum before sending it in, cause the wire was being pinched causing the problem. The sensor was ok. Thanks again for the quick and accurate response Mike. I will be sure to check here first in the future when I have more problems. From what I hear, the Star Carts are not anyone's favorite. Thanks again. Brian
Old 05-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
drharley98
Not Yet Wild

Well, that worked for a few weeks, then the problem started again. I looked at the wiring this time to make sure nothing was pinching the wire, and it looked ok. I was going to order a new speed sensor, but once I removed the old one, I see that the plug is flat with 3 wires. On all the websites I see, the receiving plug is 3 wires but triangular. Obviously these two plugs will not connect so I will either have to find a new speed sensor that fits the currently wire assembly, or I will have to cut the plugs off and rewire it together someway. Any advice on which would be best?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
jbuczko
Not Yet Wild

where is the speed sensor located and can you take a picture?
jbuczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Virjose
Not Yet Wild

Any word on where I can get a speed sensor for this type of cart?
Virjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #7
Chip1283
Not Yet Wild

I have the same problem ordered a club car precedent speed sensor. Mine was triangular though. But when I replaced the speed sensor it still creeps but at 11mph instead of 9mph. What else could cause this?
Chip1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay