lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2

Is there an aftermarket air filter for 90's Yamaha G2?

I am looking around on the net for an aftermarket air filter intended for scooters like this one

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...4aAoDREALw_wcB

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with aftermarket one and stick with stock air filter?
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2

I would stick with the factory setup. Adding an aftermarket filter can increase the air flow through the carb, which will create a lean condition that your engine will not like. You will have to do some jetting work to get it running correctly. Also, some aftermarket filters look really cool, but are terrible at filtering air and will let dirt into your engine, which can cause the rings and bearings to wear faster. Yamaha designed the air filter to work properly, why not just keep it working properly by keeping it stock?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My stock ones bands are broken and right now I am using bolts to hold lid down.

This is why I saw the one with rain cover on to reduce air intake and allow me to add a fitting to the outer plastic housing.

I am still thinking on this.

The stock lid is no longer straight and there a curve in it so I am sure it’s leaking around the lid toi
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I would stick with the factory setup. Adding an aftermarket filter can increase the air flow through the carb, which will create a lean condition that your engine will not like. You will have to do some jetting work to get it running correctly. Also, some aftermarket filters look really cool, but are terrible at filtering air and will let dirt into your engine, which can cause the rings and bearings to wear faster. Yamaha designed the air filter to work properly, why not just keep it working properly by keeping it stock?
Again the question comes up. Have you actually done one or you are just talking Slo ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Again the question comes up. Have you actually done one or you are just talking Slo ?
Why do you have to be an A hole?
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I have. And I’ve owned several G2/G9’s. I’ve never had one that ran well without the COMPLETE stock airbox, and the lid 100% sealed tight. My last G2 got a branch wedged up into the bottom of the airbox and put about a 1” long crack that was about 1/4” wide in the bottom where the mounting tab is in the front. It would fall on its face until I pulled the choke and it ran great. Sealed the hole with JB Weld and it ran great again.

Maybe you’ve got the magic touch, and can make them run great with sticks and string and K&N’s. or perhaps don’t know how they run when they’re running like they’re supposed to, so nothing to compare against. I don’t claim to know everything, but myself, and everybody I’ve known (including several members here) have issues when the stock airbox isn’t there or something is wrong with it. Same goes foe the *easily* crackable plastic spacer behind the carb. A little hairline crack and it doesn’t run right at all.

Sure with enough fiddling And carb tuning, it could work. But the time and effort it would take wouldn’t be worth it, especially considering it’s a 30+ year old, 9hp golf cart engine. You’re not getting noticeable performance gains from it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:53 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Fix/deal with the factory airbox. Keep a factory airbox, no fancy new stuff. When you change the intake tract, you also have to re-jet the carb, or it will run like ****. No way around it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Fix/deal with the factory airbox. Keep a factory airbox, no fancy new stuff. When you change the intake tract, you also have to re-jet the carb, or it will run like ****. No way around it.
We'll see if he takes our advice.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Odd man out again. I used a K&N with a prefilter on my G 14 for 6 years with no issues. In fact when the old couples G 14 here on the island started missing I seen their filters looked horribly dirty. I donated and installed my K&N set up on their cart without any further mods and it has been running great for the past 4 seasons. P.S. Many of us with engine swaps are running K&N's or UNI's My truck , chopper and Yamaha cart have genuine K&N's with a prefilter and my Harley cart has a UNI. I see JRL has twin UNI's on his Super cart.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agreed with slo and cg. Stick with/fix the oem airbox. I’ve had nothing but issues when even the airbox lid isn’t sealed correctly. And helped many folks “fix” their carts by sealing the airbox lid.

Zip ties work great for broken rubber bands if the anchors aren’t broken off. If they do break off I’ve used wood screws in their location to hold a zip tie with success.

Search around. The number of people with incorrectly installed lids or missing air boxes that only run on choke, vs. people that have had success with a filter like you’ve suggested are 10:1
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha