lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Jim77xlh
Not Yet Wild

Default Runs best with choke on

I've got an '89 G9. I've cleaned the carburetor 2x's, as well as the fuel pump. It starts without the choke, but fairly quickly I have to hold the choke on for it to run and then it runs fine.

When I jacked up the back wheels and ran it, I could see that the throttle cable initially pulls with pressning the gas pedal, but then comes back on it's own. I assume that's the governor?

I've checked and I'm pretty confident the airbox is sealed tight, so I don't know why I have to hold the choke on for it to run well. Can anybody offer any things for me to check? My buddy and I are at a loss what to even look for at this point. I'm about ready to buy another carburetor, but I hate to spend another $100 if it's not necessary (so many other things i want to buy).

Jim
Jim77xlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Runs best with choke on

I would change the fuel filter all the gas hoses and check all the vac lines.
If that don't work then clean your carb inside and outside.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

When you cleaned the carb,did you spray it with cleaner while on the engine,or actually remove it,tear it down and clean every passage and component?Torch-Tip cleaners are the best carb-cleaning tools,next to a good carb-cleaner and an air-hose.I agree on the filter and lines as well.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would also check the air filter elements and replace if dirty or clogged. I suppose you could try running it without the air filters to see if it helps, before springing for new. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Could also be lean make sure the intake spacer is not cracked, make sure the airbox is together completely.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Good point,forgot about that.Take some starting-fluid or carb-cleaner and lightly spray near the spacer with it running,see if the engine responds to the spray.Make sure its' just a quik small squirt.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Jim77xlh
Not Yet Wild

I took the carb apart completely - twice. I soaked it in carburetor dip and then used gumout spray with the little red nozzle, to spray through each passageway. I also sprayed ether around the carb baseplate while it was running to see if I could find a leak - I couldn't.

Does anybody know why the throttle closes itself after it runs a bit? Is it hooked to a governor and what controls that?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Governor is in the trans, it is controlled by axle rpm (or ground speed). As the cvt shifts up the axle goes faster until the governor kicks in to slow it.

If you have an air leak in the airbox it will cause this, they are very sensitive to leaks. If you mod the airbox you have to enlarge the main jet. Even if the cover is not on tight it will run poorly, or usually it will a few carts do not.

When you trouble shoot the carb note the carb opening, like a lawn mower the governor changes it. I mean if you need to know if it misses at full or part throttle/etc you can't go by the pedal. Usually fuel flow issues will show up much faster at full throttle, far as the pump. Even if the tank vents are plugged it should run a little ok then start acting up when it can't get more fuel. If the problem is past the fuel bowl (like jets or dirt in there) or an air leak it should do it all the time. It may be worse when cold because it will be extra lean and cold engines don't like lean.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Jim77xlh
Not Yet Wild

I've checked and re-checked and the airbox seems good. The carburetor also seems good too. It passes gumout freely through all passages and looks clean throughout. All gaskets look good. The shafts move freely without extra play.

I used the cart a few hours today to move stuff around for winter storage. It runs pretty good as long as the choke is pulled. The cart will occasionally run without any choke, but that seems to only be when there's no load - as soon as I try to climb an incline, it dies out.

I replaced the big vaccuum line on from the top of the engine, and some of the gas line. I'm going to replace the rest of the gas lines. I guess I'll replace the fuel pump vaccuum line too, though the fuel filter is full, so I don't suspect there's a problem with that line.

I've heard several times that it's really sensitive to the restriction of the airbox, I'm gonna take it out completely and see if there's some hidden leak on the bottom. I bought new rubber retainers to seal it. It still has the original seal, but it looks adequate. If I can't find any leaks on the bottom, I'm gonna try running duct tape around the outside seal of the airbox. If there is a leak, the duct tape should seal it and fix the problem (until I get a new seal or airbox).

On the bright side, I really love the long travel Jake's suspension i put on. It looks cool and gives me clearance to get over the stump in my yard. Once I get it running properly, I can start on the fun stuff - adding lights, a hitch, a stereo, fabbing a front bumper......
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I removed the silencer, the part that goes over the generator. I had to enlarge the main jet some to get it right. It was fine after that. I used a torch tip cleaner to file it a little larger, little at a time. You can get the main out in the cart if its not too tight.

Tags
carburetor, choke, lean, runs poorly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha