lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 EZGO TXT loses power and stops

I recently purchased a 1997 EZGO TXT and immediately intalled a GE Raptor motor and all new 4 gauge wiring (all wiring, not just batteries. I changed my new batteries from my old cart to this one and they are new.

When playing golf and going up a slight incline I thought I noticed a loss of power but it then ran as if nothing had happened. Then while going up a greater and longer incline it just slowed and stopped. Nothing in forward or reverse. I turned the switch off and let it sit a few seconds and then turned it on again. It took off and climbed the hill without further incident.

It has acted this way several times now and I can get it going, but have no idea where to start checking. I think I will start testing and checking at the pedal assembly and work upward from there. I have checked all wiring and everything visible but have not put a multimeter to use yet. WAnting to get it home first.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas I would certainly appreciate the input, and help. I do work on my own carts (and others too) but don't claim to be an expert.

Thanks
kritter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1997 EZGO TXT loses power and stops

A couple of things to keep in mind here...The Raptor motor is required to have a 400 amp controller, heavy duty solenoid and FnR to function properly without causing problems. The problems with the incline would most likely be the controller...the problem with the cart stopping and going after it cools would point to a solenoid...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for responding Camaroluvz28. I did install a 400 Amp Curtis controller, HD Solenoid, Beefed the FnR switch up, made all new 4 Ga wiring.

The cart is very fast on flat land and most inclines, but there is two holes on the golf course (they run parallel) that seems to be where it happens.

I had this motor in a 1993 Marathon with all the other upgrades mentioned here and it was a veritable rocket.

So, I will check everything out again and would appreciate any help anyone wants to submit.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The batteries are new, but what type/size are they?

What is the pack voltage when the cart misbehaves?

Are any of the high current cables/connections getting hot?

Does the solenoid click when the cart won't move?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry to have omitted some important information.

Batteries were only a few months old when the problem arose. I took them out of the Marathon I mentioned, where they gave me no problems. The motor was changed from the Marathon too.

The batteries read 38.4 before starting the round of golf (just unplugged from the charger), and after the round (which was 4 more holes and 12 holes total) the pack read 37.6. The cables to the FNR switch were very hot at the time of the problem. I did check for burned or hot cables as soon as it stopped. I had no problem backing up and getting the cart on a level plane and getting it to speed up so I could try to climb the rest of the hill but it would soon die out once going up the incline. The solenoid will click when the cart is stalled. After finishing the round I drove the cart home which is about 1.5 miles and most of it up an incline but not as steep. It never faultered going home. Kinda like a horse going to water, I guess?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter1 View Post
Sorry to have omitted some important information.

Batteries were only a few months old when the problem arose. I took them out of the Marathon I mentioned, where they gave me no problems. The motor was changed from the Marathon too.

The batteries read 38.4 before starting the round of golf (just unplugged from the charger), and after the round (which was 4 more holes and 12 holes total) the pack read 37.6. The cables to the FNR switch were very hot at the time of the problem. I did check for burned or hot cables as soon as it stopped. I had no problem backing up and getting the cart on a level plane and getting it to speed up so I could try to climb the rest of the hill but it would soon die out once going up the incline. The solenoid will click when the cart is stalled. After finishing the round I drove the cart home which is about 1.5 miles and most of it up an incline but not as steep. It never faultered going home. Kinda like a horse going to water, I guess?
I suspect the batteries were put on charge the night before, the charger shutoff a few hours later when they were fully charged and they sat with the charger plugged in, but not on, for several hours before the voltage was measured. If so, 38.4V is a good reading.

I don't know how many AH your batteries are or how far 12 holes is on your golf course, but 37.6V is over 80% SoC, so you can do 18 holes with your cart, however I have my doubts about 36 holes without recharging.

Hot cables are a bad sign.
Anytime you get heat in the cables, F/R contacts, Solenoid contacts and or any of the connections, it means electrical energy is being converted into heat rather than being converted into motion by the motor.

Even if solving the hot cable issue didn't solve problem, the cart would perform better if the cables and the rest of the high current circuit stayed cool.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with all you have said, but why when up the hill and on a flat surface does the cart go back to normal, and fast with no hesitation at all? And, I did check the cables and they were not nearly as hot--actually I would call them warm. Also, the cart did have a fairly long hill it had to pull on the way home and never hesitated.

So, given all this data, where do you think I should start testing? I was considering redoing the FNR switch since that is where I found the extremely hot cables. I should have enough parts from repairing FNR switches to rebuild this one.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

F/R is a good place to start.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
kritter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will start there and then go to the solenoid. Since I have a new one available I may go ahead and replace it.

Will report back when I'm done.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter1 View Post
I agree with all you have said, but why when up the hill and on a flat surface does the cart go back to normal, and fast with no hesitation at all? And, I did check the cables and they were not nearly as hot--actually I would call them warm. Also, the cart did have a fairly long hill it had to pull on the way home and never hesitated.

So, given all this data, where do you think I should start testing? I was considering redoing the FNR switch since that is where I found the extremely hot cables. I should have enough parts from repairing FNR switches to rebuild this one.
I'm guessing you have some steep hills on the course which is soft ground which means a lot of drag. Going home ( I'll guess again ) the surface is hard and the hills not as steep. Drag will greatly increase the power needed to move the cart, so heat is generated at the weakest point, the F-R switch. The hotter a circuit becomes, the more resistance it has. This results in less power. Once everything cools off a bit, riding on a hard surface and smaller hills, the cart's performance returns. I'd look at getting a heavier duty F-R switch. This was an issue I had also.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO