lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
BGONE
Not Yet Wild

Default Big Block preference

I have a 350 Workhorse, and I would like to install a big block 4 stroke. Does anyone have a suggestion what a good make and size that would be the best to work with as far as matching up. I know there is going to be some modification needed. I'm really not looking for speed, I'm a hunter and at times I have to pull a small trailer through the woods I'm looking for more power for the hills and creek crossings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Big Block preference

Welcome to BGW !!!!
You have come to the right place. Lots of knowledgeable people and suppliers here to help you make your decision. My vote is for the 23hp Vanguard. A turnkey do it yourself kit is available from CCP. Find them in the http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

An 18hp Vanguard might also work for you but the costs are so close you may as well have the extra hp
But the Vanny is the favorite with most available mods right now.
I'm sure other will chime in with their favorites
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Welcome Bgone! It's the old Ford/ Chevy debate. Briggs/ Honda/ Koehler etc are all good, but Scottys right about the Vannys being the most popular swap motor. They also tend to be a little less expensive and have more aftermarket parts available if you are into hopping things up!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Welcome! In my opinion, nothing smaller than an 18. I have no experiance with "clones" so I'd stick with Briggs/Honda/Kohler. Yes Briggs has more aftermarket upgrades, but a Honda 24, right out of the box is solid. As posted earlier, a kit, like "CPP" is an easy, all inclusive bolt in and go deal. Might want to check others sponsors also. To "piece" one togeather yourself "will" cost more money! Good luck and be shure to start a thread of your cars transformation. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I put a Honda 20 in my workhorse. I love the thing and it has plenty of power. The main consideration was that I could use my stock ez-go clutch. That saved me some money on the overall conversion.
There is not alot of aftermarket mods for the Hondas, ehich makes the Briggs more popular.
CPP has by far the best all-in-one bolt up set up.
Good luck
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
cibach
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a modified Briggs 23hp in mine.. love it and would do it again.. I think eitehr route you will be happy
cibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
BGONE
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help. Sounds to me that the B&S is the way to go. I have read about this power spring and haveing your clutch machined. Does that really make that big of a difference? I'm in Iraq right now, so I'm doing my research now, so when I get home I want this my first project. Thanks Again
BGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGONE View Post
Thanks for all the help. Sounds to me that the B&S is the way to go. I have read about this power spring and haveing your clutch machined. Does that really make that big of a difference? I'm in Iraq right now, so I'm doing my research now, so when I get home I want this my first project. Thanks Again
In my opinion most don't need a power spring if you have a big block. My B/S 18 hp has lots of power, low end torque. Check out http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...54c41ba2d275d5

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Bgone, I hear what your sayin... You may be completely happy with a torque spring or even machining the clutch for a little more bottom end umphh....May be great for haullin a small trailer or draggin deer out of the woods, for little dollars. If you never want to worry about enough HP again and are prepared to spend 2000.00 on a golf cart motor, then do it!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!