lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Smile FE350 - governor question

I am working on the accelerator on my 94 carry All VI, Does the drive belt need to be in place to correctly set the governor? I am having difficulty maintaining a constant speed. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filters,cleaned the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner, new plug, cleaned the fuel tank, new air filter. I have the driven clutch off for rebuilding. Will this have any difference in setting the performance of the 350?
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: FE350 - governor question

First thing is first, what exactly is it doing? Specifically how it is having a hard time maintaining speed? Does it get to top speed, cut out for 2 seconds, pick back up and go again, and repeat?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Thanks for your response.
Trying to run manually, without drive belt. Seems to race to higher rpm's. let off the accelerators and it dies.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok

The governor is a flyweight based part inside the transmission. If the cart is not moving, the governor is not spinning and thus it is not doing anything. You have to drive the cart, or at a minimum have the rear end lifted on jack stands so the rear wheels can spin.

If the belt is disconnected, the cart is just going to rev up until it hit the rev limiter, die out for a couple seconds, and then pick up again. This sounds like what you're experiencing with the belt off.

Try this. Remove the cover to the black box with the solenoid. Theres a cam and a cable in there. Watch the carb carefully. With the key OFF, slowly press the gas pedal by hand. Watch the cam inside the black.box. the microswitches should click before the carb moves. Another half.inch of pedal travel, you should see the carb start to move. Adjust this with the adjustment nut on the cable going into the black box until it.does as described.

That's as set as its.going to get. Then if you want more speed, you can lightly apply a zip tie to the big spring on the passenger side of the transmission. (This is the same cable coming from the black box). Then drive it. Tighten the zip tie a couple clicks at a time until it hits the rev limiter. You'll know this happens when youre.driving at top speed, it slows down for a couple seconds, then picks back up again, then at full rpm will cut out, slowing but, then start picking up again. Put another zip tie on slightly looser and you're as fast as it's going to get.

Stock height and tires, should be good for around 18-20mph max.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #5
buggyAl
Getting Wild

CP241
Thanks for the info. you certainly answered my question. I will do the Jack stand approach tomorrow. I have also ordered a new rpm limiter. I do see what you are talking about with the throttle box. Thanks. I will post results

Tags
carry all, club car ds, gas club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car