lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
ADSFR075
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV just stops and loses power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
Just out of curiosity, any burning type smells coming from the motor/brake area? Is the motor brake on the driver side of the motor hot when it locks up? Mine did something very similar and it turned out to be the motor brake that had went south on me. After letting it cool for a while, I could drive it again for a short distance, then it would lock again.
I didn't notice any burning smell coming from the cart. I got under the cart to touch the motor and it wasn't hot and no smell caught my attention.
ADSFR075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
Just out of curiosity, any burning type smells coming from the motor/brake area? Is the motor brake on the driver side of the motor hot when it locks up? Mine did something very similar and it turned out to be the motor brake that had went south on me. After letting it cool for a while, I could drive it again for a short distance, then it would lock again.
It could be but in our case we just replaced the motor brake a few weeks prior to this starting to happen. But may be one of the ultimate causes. I was told that whenever you replace the motor brake, you should also replace the speed sensor.
Carts4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
It could be but in our case we just replaced the motor brake a few weeks prior to this starting to happen. But may be one of the ultimate causes. I was told that whenever you replace the motor brake, you should also replace the speed sensor.
I saw yours is the Danaher controller. Might be a recommendation on those to swap the speed sensor as well. I've not had any experience swapping a brake on the older RXV's. The OP has a Curtis. I've done several few brake swaps on those and never changed a speed sensor. Haven't had any issues after the brake change. May have just been lucky.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

A common cause for this is buying and using the wrong motor brake. A HD (Heavy Duty) motor brake requires too much current and will not work right on a Danaher controller. It will damage the controller if left on there for too long. I have seen even Curtis controllers damaged by an HD motor brake. Make sure that you buy an original non-HD motor brake for your RXV.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

What motor brake is part # 617766 Bob? We've been using them for a long time on both Danahar and Curtis with great success.

Also FYI if your RXV has that tiny little solenoid that's hardwired in, replace it ASAP. I've seen those fail and ruin both brakes and controllers
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
A common cause for this is buying and using the wrong motor brake. A HD (Heavy Duty) motor brake requires too much current and will not work right on a Danaher controller. It will damage the controller if left on there for too long. I have seen even Curtis controllers damaged by an HD motor brake. Make sure that you buy an original non-HD motor brake for your RXV.
trying to bump this up again. will be testing the car out today to see if we loose power again. we did not use a HD motor brake on this car. any reason I keep showing a motor temp warning even after replacing the motor? can this lead back to the controller? would hate to have to replace it due to the cost.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
trying to bump this up again. will be testing the car out today to see if we loose power again. we did not use a HD motor brake on this car. any reason I keep showing a motor temp warning even after replacing the motor? can this lead back to the controller? would hate to have to replace it due to the cost.
It could be a harness issue, or a bad controller input. Harness issues there are more common, since movement of the rear axle will cause the harness to flex. If it is a controller issue, it may be possible to disable the motor temperature sensor input on the controller. The temperature sensor itself is buried in one of the motor windings.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #18
ADSFR075
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My problem seems to have gone away just by changing all the battery cables to good quality 2 gauge cables.
ADSFR075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSFR075 View Post
My problem seems to have gone away just by changing all the battery cables to good quality 2 gauge cables.
Hey, that's awesome, sometimes we get lucky and its the easiest little things.
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It could be a harness issue, or a bad controller input. Harness issues there are more common, since movement of the rear axle will cause the harness to flex. If it is a controller issue, it may be possible to disable the motor temperature sensor input on the controller. The temperature sensor itself is buried in one of the motor windings.

Bob
ok. would this cause the car to stop (the motor temp warning)? if I disable will it affect performance and how can I disable?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO