lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley (Columbia) Issue

Hello all,

I have an 84 Columbia 3 wheel gas cart I've been trying to get running.

What I know:

I wasn't getting proper fuel draw from the tank (clear filter wasn't filling) so I added an electric inline fuel pump. (makes 2-3 psi)

Cart has very low compression (60ish)

I opened up the carburetor and it is CLEAN. No sign of any gunk anywhere.

Cart runs slowly (8 mph) for about 30 seconds before it pretty much dies. It sounded like something starts to rattle in the muffler. I opened the muffler and made a puncture through all the baffles (thinking maybe something would get blocked) and it still only runs for about 30 seconds. No difference.

When I pull the spark plug after it dies it is DRY and appears fouled.

What I plan on replacing:

1: top end rebuild (sleeve-jug-cylinder whatever you want to call it, rings, gaskets, piston, piston pin. Hopefully get the psi up around 100. From buggies unlimited
2: HEI setup with new coil - ebay the parts
3: Tuneup - From buggies unlimited

Can anyone give me their opinion on the matter and if I'm on the right track?

Anything I'm missing here??

Thanks in advance,

Dwight
beretta5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley (Columbia) Issue

Do you have anymore history on the cart like , how long has it been sense it ran good? What other types of test have you run on it? Your compression is a bit on the low side, should be around 90 to 100 psi. Have you tried blocking the rear wheels to see if it runs better with no weight on the axle? A bunch of members run there carts with electric fuel pump with great success. Have you considered your crank seals could be bad? Just throwing a few things out there, maybe also rebuilding the carb while your doing the top half of the motor.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I don't have that kind of information. I bought it for 100 bucks "as is."

I haven't tried lifting the axle and running with. It does idle for as long as I want and idles very strong. It only dies after driving it for 30 seconds.

Crank seals are probably bad. Are they an easy fix I should be doing while I'm rebuilding the top end?

The carb on this motor is so simple. It doesn't have any diaphragms or anything. It looks like all it consists of is a bowl with float and a couple needles. I will be fully cleaning the carb at the same time as the rebuild. Golf season is over where I am from in Canada. I will be attempting all this in the spring. Will be picking up parts over the next few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

60ish compression is way too low. I am surprised you are getting it to run for even 30 secs. Your new top end will almost certainly remedy that. Like kplhdryder said, 90+ is where you want to be. Get that done and see what you have with regard to performance.

Proper compression may lead to better fuel draw but that electric fuel pump should have solved that.

With an 84, there wont be a diaphragm in the carb. Those diaphragms were basically fuel pumps in older carts. An 84 should have an external "vacuum" type pump vs the diapragm in the carb.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

As lochlin said, doing the top half may be all your cart need to get it running again. As for the crank seals Yes the crank seals are a little more involved replacement, but with these older carts they all have a seal problem eventually. There are a couple ways to check to see if they are infact leaking, soapy water around seals then add little compressed air into the the cylinder head, "bubbles replace". Or, I have never tried this one , but I have seen another post where starter fluid was sprayed @ the seals "while motor running", and it made the motor run better, and if so they need be replaced also. beretta5spd, if you don't already have this info , this is a link to the service manuals for your cart. Be sure to keep us all posted on your progress. Good Luck Post pics of your cart, sounds like a great price for a running cart.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Looks as though you got yourself a great deal on that cart for just $100.00, beretta5spd. So anything you do to it would be worth it, in my eyes. Don't forget to shop around for your parts, not all suppliers charge the same for the same items. It also pays to beware of some of the after market parts that are out there. They may say they fit or are the proper fitment for your year and model, only to find out that you now have to use your engineering degree to make it fit. lol. Goood luck and keep us posted on your venture.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
beretta5spd
Not Yet Wild

Ok guys I got another cart for 100 bucks. It needs a top end rebuild as well. This one is a pre 81 style motor.

The carts have been subjected to really cold temps. (-15 Celsius or 5F). The diffs are locked solid. Does anyone know what gear oil is supposed to go in the diffs and if maybe it's frozen and that's why they are locked up? Both were fine when in a heated shop.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson