lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Craeshe
Getting Wild

Default Correct Wiring for Solenoid (Diode)

Hey Guys,
Can i get a quick look at my solenoid that i just installed. (Had to drill new holes for it too...

My stock one did not have a diode and resistor, but this one came with it. So i wanted to make sure before i put any electricity through it.

Putting it back together based on how i took it apart, this looks correct, but based on this diagram below, i have my small poles reversed, and possibly the diode as well. Which is only a one way diode, i believe.

Can yall tell me if this is correct or reversed? Again, this is how the stock cart had it hooked up, but the diagram below (and others i found) are reversed.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190711_134100.jpg (145.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190711-134030_Gallery.jpg (431.2 KB, 0 views)
Craeshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Correct Wiring for Solenoid (Diode)

That looks correct. Looks like you lost a lock washer. It's lying on the silver plated base of the big terminal next to the small negative wire. If it makes contact between the black or blue wire and that shiny plate there will be sparks and possible consequences.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

i think that on all carts the band on the diode goes to positive....if i am wrong please help me out with a little feedback
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The side of the diode with the band (cathode) always goes towards the positive activation wire when used as a flyback diode.

The issue I see there is that you have the small connectors under the main lug, that is a big problem.

On those type of Solenoids the main cable goes in direct contact with the large metal surface, no other cables or washers go under the cable lug.

Any other wires go on top of the main cable.

The same applies to battery posts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Craeshe
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The side of the diode with the band (cathode) always goes towards the positive activation wire when used as a flyback diode.

The issue I see there is that you have the small connectors under the main lug, that is a big problem.

On those type of Solenoids the main cable goes in direct contact with the large metal surface, no other cables or washers go under the cable lug.

Any other wires go on top of the main cable.

The same applies to battery posts.
I'll make sure to put the main lugs with nothing under them and remove the little lock washer sitting there.

For the diode, do I just reverse the diode and I'm good to go, or are the wires reversed as well?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The diode is correctly installed (band on positive wire), I am assuming your 16ga red wire on the solenoid coil is positive and the black is negative.

I just noticed two more issues.

You have an XCT Controller, so get rid of that resistor on the Solenoid big posts and add a 6amp diode in its place.

That big "Regen" diode will be installed with the band towards the pack positive cable.

The cable lugs should be on top of the metal tabs on the Controller, only the nut stays in the captive pocket.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Craeshe
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The diode is correctly installed (band on positive wire), I am assuming your 16ga red wire on the solenoid coil is positive and the black is negative.

I just noticed two more issues.

You have an XCT Controller, so get rid of that resistor on the Solenoid big posts and add a 6amp diode in its place.

That big "Regen" diode will be installed with the band towards the pack positive cable.

The cable lugs should be on top of the metal tabs on the Controller, only the nut stays in the captive pocket.
Crazy....I was just looking at my pics of the old one, and I had them all installed wrong.....they were all inside the metal, not outside. I'll fix all these listed issues...

As for the 6amp diode....I don't know anything about these, besides googling a pre made item. I couldn't find a 6amp diode for the large posts. Why is the one I have now not work? (Ignorant, not wise ***).
Old 07-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Thank you SERGIO, a flyback diode, learned a new term today and it feel good.
great observation on the terminals...eagle eye
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diode, solenoid, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha