lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default ?? about seats

Has anyone had to make new seats?
What foam works best?? Not too soft or hard?
I have the Marine Vinyl picked out but have no clue what foam to buy.
I am currently still doing the paint work but I figure after the new year I will start the seats. My cart did not come with a seat bottom and neither did the rear seat frame I mated to it, Have to make them myself.

Any help is much appreciated....
Brian
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Default Re: ?? about seats

You might try talking to someone at a local upholstery shop or upholstery supply shop. they should be able to point you in the right direction.
You can also Google it or YouTube it.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

We did new seats, my bottom base was rotted out and I hated the two separate seat backs. We cut the bottom to match original and cut the top so that I now have a bench seat and it was super easy. Put some 1/4-20 T-nuts in the seat back so when it was done we could bolt it to the frames. Local upholstery shops should have foam or at least some scraps to show you and get a feel for stiffness...be prepared to be amazed at how much foam costs! Good luck!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thank you
Have to look around for a local place.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:52 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What kind of cart do you have? If you can find a seat frame for it you can just cut the plywood and make a seat. If you can't find a frame you can still make the seat but it won't have handles.

Whichever way you go with the seat you are much better off buying covers to cover them than buying the material and making them. Not as expensive as you may think. I use a company called UPTOPAR. They have a website but I have found it better to contact them on eBay.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:33 AM   #6
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am in a similar situation. I would like to refresh/reupholster the front bottom seats in my cart. Problem is they are two toned and it may be difficult to match the vinyl without doing all four seats. Likely to replace the bottom cushion in the current two toned pattern will require customizing and fabricating two different vinyl materials. Not sure of the cost . . . I bet $300-$400 is a fair guess.

Instead I’m considering replacing all 4 seats with “something” else. Currently I’m looking at two toned high back boat/fishing seats or the front and the same pattern low back seats for the second row.

The boat seats appear to have more foam than my current OEM seats. I’m going to verify measurements soon to see if they fit and of course I’ll do an evaluation of the weight.

. . . but my rough guesstimates are that I can replace all four seats for anywhere between $400-$500.

You can see an example of the stock seats in the first photo, and possible replacements in the second photo. There are a variety of colors and styles available. Naturally, there will be some engineering required to access the batteries, but I’m sure it won’t be that difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7A3BD6A4-B829-41A9-B808-8A1C1D7FFF23.jpeg (587.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 77E8A2F1-018E-45AE-A955-80B8B15CE666.jpeg (77.7 KB, 0 views)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mooncarter: This cart is a Chinese rip-off of a Gem Car. From what I can tell there are not many here in the US. I may actually have the only one. I know that sounds bold but I have searched and searched and find no USA info whatsoever. It is the Chinese Personal Carrier model EG6023K here is my description post on this forum https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=168996
I knew when I picked it up stuff like this would be an issue, not being able to just purchase new or used parts.

RNajarian: Funny you say this, those high back boat seats have been on my Amazon wish list since I got the cart. They are like $140 for the set and will fit the front and back perfectly in my case. Yesterday after posting this I started looking into the costs for making proper base and back for both and decided I would do the boat seats.
They have a Blue/White that I think is gonna match up well and save me a minimum of $150 and a whole lot of headache.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #8
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

^^. Glad to know great minds think alike. In my case I need to make sure that the boat seats won’t be too tall or will fold down enough to allow access to the batteries
Old 12-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yes, the folding and flipping up is gonna be tough doing it this way, I don't have all the hinge hardware, only the cart half is there. So I was thinking of not using any type of hinge but rather have the entire seat base "peg" into the battery compartment. Like cut some 1"X 2" Pieces and frame out the battery hole so the seat base cant move front/back or side/side. Then maybe a quick fastener to hold it in place.
I already cut my seat base and I will Fiberglass both sides to stiffen and water proof it. Paint it to match and mount the seats to it. Removing it will prob be a lil heavy but it will not be in the way if you need to work in there.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’m looking at these measurements below.

If the folded seat allows easy access to service the batteries then I will go this route. Easier and cheaper than trying to match exciting upholstery. Also, probably more comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5CB525E4-2563-455C-A22F-84C13392B17E.jpeg (22.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg FF387745-0794-4AB7-9D2D-C2414BAEFB6A.jpeg (32.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop