lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
Git ER Done
Not Yet Wild

Default Must keep choke pulled to run fast

I am new member and recently purchased a 70 or 71 Harley Davidson gas powered three wheel golf cart. The cart will start but moves very slow, if you pull the choke out and back in it will run up to speed then loses power again and you must pull choke in an out to get the cart to pick up speed. The cart has a new drive belt and just put a new ROP carburetor on it with a new fuel filter and new gas line which resulted in same poor performance related to fuel delivery. After reading several posts leads me to a crank seals, check valve in tank, or reed gasket or reeds themselves. Any tests to narrow down problem ?
Git ER Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Must keep choke pulled to run fast

What you are describing is for sure a crank seal issue. I have heard people say that a test
is to spray starting fluid toward the crank seals so that the fluid is sucked into the case via the bad seal and that this will cause a good runner for a few seconds. I have never had good luck with test, though, and have some doubts that it works very well.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

You might use an outboard motor primer bulb in the gas line to see if you might have a small leak in the fuel delivery system. Lochlin is right in suggesting the seals for a small crankcase leak there will cause that problem. The one seal is not to hard to replace so you might try that one before a complete engine removal is called for. I have heard someone a few years ago say they used a seal softener in a machine that set for a few years but that sounds like it is a little far fetched. I haven't tore down an engine down in 4 or 5 years now and my mind has been trashed some. All others on this forum are very good with these carts! Sometime low compression is a problem! check the simple things first.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It never hurts to look for a plugged muffler on these engines. It is often the culprit with an erratic running engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson