lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #11
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Ride quality after going Lithium and dropping 300 Lbs. in cart weight

I went with a 4-link rear suspension.

20190709_213957.jpg

20190522_222619.jpg

20190702_195344.jpg
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ride quality after going Lithium and dropping 300 Lbs. in cart weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post

Attachment 197292

Attachment 197293

Attachment 197294
Nice work
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I went with a 4-link rear suspension. [emoji106]

Attachment 197292

Attachment 197293

Attachment 197294
That was a fun build to watch and still has me thinking about doing a similar setup but with a watts link for street ride and cornering vice offroad articulation. As I recall you're learning curve on that project was pretty steep... ;/

Whats your thoughts on Watts link setup or 4 link for for non-offroad having done this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Nice work
You only said that cause you like the sticker
Old 02-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #15
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
That was a fun build to watch and still has me thinking about doing a similar setup but with a watts link for street ride and cornering vice offroad articulation. As I recall you're learning curve on that project was pretty steep... ;/

Whats your thoughts on Watts link setup or 4 link for for non-offroad having done this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
For an electric cart; 4- link all the way. No need to worry about a panhard bar.

Lately I've been doing equal street/ off road driving and the suspension is night and day to the leaf springs still.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Interesting - this sounds like maybe they actually didn't change anything. To me the suspension was fairly stiff even with the FLA batteries in there. I never noticed much if any lean on turns - even at aggressive speeds. Now it is really flat through the turns, which is good for safety, but it is just really harsh on road imperfections, roots, pavement expansion joints that aren't done well etc...

Is your LiOn Onward lifted with the 23" tires?
No, it is a two seater so it really can't be lifted, at least the factory won't do it. The tires are just the stock Mercury wheels with 10" Kenda Loadstar tires. I have also heard they really did not change the suspension much. If I'm on smooth pavement it is not bad at all but when I hit the cart paths at my club that are not as well maintained as they should be I certainly feel the difference. I will experiment with different air pressures and see what happens.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
No, it is a two seater so it really can't be lifted, at least the factory won't do it. The tires are just the stock Mercury wheels with 10" Kenda Loadstar tires. I have also heard they really did not change the suspension much. If I'm on smooth pavement it is not bad at all but when I hit the cart paths at my club that are not as well maintained as they should be I certainly feel the difference. I will experiment with different air pressures and see what happens.
Keep us posted. Thanks.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:36 PM   #18
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
I may try reducing tire air pressure as suggested here to see if it makes any difference. I would rather go through a set of tires once a year than put up with the stiff ride.
If you get the balance right it won't shorten the tire life. If you leave the pressure high it may *reduce* tire life!

If the tires have to support 800 pounds on the rear axle that's 400 pounds each tire. If there are 20 square inches (guessing on contact patch, but this is just for example) of surface area in contact with the ground, that's 20psi required (I'm simplifying this a little but 20 square inches X 20 psi = 400 lbs per tire). Now you lose 300 lbs on that axle, so it has 500 lbs to support, 250 per tire and you want the same ride so you need to inflate the tire to have the same contact area. So to have 20 square inches support the 250lbs you'd need 12.5 psi. In this scenario the tire wear pattern would be the same. If you left the tire at 20psi with the weight loss you would have a harsh ride and wear the center of the tire out sooner!

There's more to ride roughness but a major component of the ride of a cart is the tire stiffness and the reduction of load on the tires means they don't need as much air pressure.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
If you get the balance right it won't shorten the tire life. If you leave the pressure high it may *reduce* tire life!

If the tires have to support 800 pounds on the rear axle that's 400 pounds each tire. If there are 20 square inches (guessing on contact patch, but this is just for example) of surface area in contact with the ground, that's 20psi required (I'm simplifying this a little but 20 square inches X 20 psi = 400 lbs per tire). Now you lose 300 lbs on that axle, so it has 500 lbs to support, 250 per tire and you want the same ride so you need to inflate the tire to have the same contact area. So to have 20 square inches support the 250lbs you'd need 12.5 psi. In this scenario the tire wear pattern would be the same. If you left the tire at 20psi with the weight loss you would have a harsh ride and wear the center of the tire out sooner!

There's more to ride roughness but a major component of the ride of a cart is the tire stiffness and the reduction of load on the tires means they don't need as much air pressure.
I was thinking along these lines, but thanks for clearly laying out mathematically exactly how it works out that way. I'm going to experiment a little...
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:19 AM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:

Attachment 197292

Attachment 197293

Attachment 197294
Showoff!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car