lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Eugene11
Not Yet Wild

Default Bring it back from the dead

I am a newb, this is my first post my first cart. I know nothing. Lol. Guy gave me a 1980 36 volt club car. He said it ran. As soon as u hooked the batteries up it took off on him. I think that its a selinoid problem. Also I want to do away with 6 6v batteries and go with 3 12v. Will the charger I have work with the 12v batteries?
Eugene11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bring it back from the dead

It does sound like the main solenoid is welded shut.... not too familiar with 1980 drive system?
The charger will work but the batteries won't last but 6 months or so.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene11 View Post
I am a newb, this is my first post my first cart. I know nothing. Lol. Guy gave me a 1980 36 volt club car. He said it ran. As soon as u hooked the batteries up it took off on him. I think that its a selinoid problem. Also I want to do away with 6 6v batteries and go with 3 12v. Will the charger I have work with the 12v batteries?

yes it seems the solenoid is stuck on, as for doing that with your batteries......big mistake your gonna lose runtime and they won,t last near as long but yes your charger will work.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Eugene11
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I will just buy the 6v batteries. There are 5 selinoids. Are they all the same? Is there any way to check them or should I replace them all? Then there is this curly wire above them. I've read that its called a resisnator? What does this do?
Eugene11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Iam not a sparky guy but get a reasonably good volt ohm meter.
With the batteries disconnected check the solenoids for open continuity
across the large posts.
The resisters are the speed control, they wipe off diferant amounts of voltage
to control the speed of the cart, you use just as much juice going slow as fast just some is wasted through the resistors.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

well that didnt work... make sure the micros under the dash are not stuck shut. (this being a Caroche they are there) and work your way back
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene11 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will just buy the 6v batteries. There are 5 selinoids. Are they all the same? Is there any way to check them or should I replace them all? Then there is this curly wire above them. I've read that its called a resisnator? What does this do?

it should be the furthest left solenoid thats the master......wouldn,t hurt to chage all 5 if you can swing it but start with the master and see where your at...........as mentioned the microswitchs are under the dash if you need to check them.......the wire bolted on top of 4 of them are resistor coils make sure they are good and not touching each other anywhere......your master solenoid will be the only one without a resistor coil bolted to it................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1980 club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car