lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Drive belt versus clutches

I, the same as many here are having problems with my ST 350 Work Horse. From this forum I have learned that the varible clutches work with the governer to reduce the ground speed while keeping the rpms in a working range. My problem is I have very little power taking off, pulling hills ect. I have raised my rearend off the ground , my clutches seem ( to me ) to be operating smoothly, opening and closing. I removed the belt, checked the driven clutch, twisted it it sprang back nicely. I had planned to remove the driven clutch and inspect / rebuild it. It seemed fairly strong.... so, my question. I have read several times "check your belt" as always I seem to look at the most logical last. The information gives loss of power due to the clutches as staying in high gear, will the belt also (if it is narrow) give the same effect? My belt measures 1.060 which is slightly less than one and 1 1/16, 1/8 smaller than standard. My rig seems to go right into high, doesnt tach up and barely gets above a putter when driving. I notice that, while on stands, my belt as soon as the drive clutch engages goes up about 1/2 the dia of the drive clutch, quickly goes to high ( top of the drive, and bottom of the driven) when the rpms go back down, it seems to rev down almost to nothing before the ratio from high to low seems to change. Its like I have low only for a second then straight to high and almost down to a idle before a shift change. Is this normal? does it need a load inorder to force the varible system into lower gear? Do I still need to break down my driven clutch. I have a new belt ordered one inch shorter the correct width should be here tomorrow. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Last edited by mandoman; 07-25-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: fix confusion on my part
mandoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Drive belt versus clutches

Did the belt help? If not, I had a similar issue. I had a fouled spark plug. The engine didn't seem to be having any problems. It idled fine and gave no other indication that anything was wrong but I was getting a weak spark. Mobile 1 oil and 2 new plugs and I was throwing rocks when I hit the gas. I'm pretty sure those things do need some load to be in low. I think raising the rear end showed you that the clutch worked fine. I hope it helps.
ml41887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes, the belt........... living large on the improvement. Still though not enough power to suite me... I had the same thought as well, I smell a lot of rich gas when its running. Im thinking the mixture is rich. Will fouled plugs cause this? When I set the valves one of the plugs had carbon deposits (not burnt) the other looked almost new. The one that looked new was the one where the valves were way outta whack. The intake was 0000.00 couldnt get a thing under it, the exhaust was bout .020 thousandths...... my brain says ahah after I set the valves it did seem to run better. This buggie is a new aquisition for me so I didnt have a before and after. But with the new belt it is a hoss and I know if I get the engine running tip top should be no problems... one note with the new belt a turtle might beat you up the hill.... lol but im good with that, i will be hauling loads with mine.. top end is great, but im still having problems with the clutches going back to low while the machine is rolling but you can stop before the hill plenty of low end. The clutches seem to be getting better the more i run them. So far all I have spent on the beast is about 40 bucks for the napa 6098 belt.... the good folks at napa did give me somewhat of a hard time, here in ga for the past 3 weeks the heat index has been hovering around the 100f mark....... "who needs a snowmobile belt in this weather" lol they couldnt understand when I was upset when the belt was gonna be late (was supposed to be on ups) but delivered later the same day on fedx. Thank you ml41887 for your reply.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

BTW ml41887, what did you gap your plugs at? That was another issue I tackled with my st, the plug gaps were in the 30's , I believe I read somewhere here that the plug should be gaped .018-.024 I set my used ones on .020 split the difference ya know, they said .018 for a hot spark .024 for a wider spark.. I will probably get 4 new plugs have a set at the 18 and another at the 24 see which runs better with my rig then reset the others and have a spare set. It looks like mine was made in the 90's so i will definlty start up a just for st tool box. God Bless

Last edited by mandoman; 07-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

I downloaded the engine manual from Honda and it said .028-.031 so I did .030. I have an ST 4x4 which has a different engine than the 350, if I'm not mistaken. However, information was so hard to get from EZGO, and by hard I mean expensive...$60 for any manual that they make. I started getting all of the information that I needed from the part numbers on the buggy and going to the manufacturer. Usually that's free. It's harder with some stuff but pretty much the entire drivetrain's made by someone else.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Excellent Idea! Kudo's to you. I have yet another problem to surface its pretty head. I changed plugs out this morning the plug end was smashed up to the electrode.. is the little robbins interference free? I have to do some real work for a couple days then Im going to drop a magnet and see if any thing fishes out if not, I'm pulling the head/jugs. Is it possible the wrist pins or bushings are worn to the point of the piston hitting the plug.. correct plug, had it going pretty good the other day, heard some popping ,, I thought I had hit the limiter......... but as it seems something had hit the plug. Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks God Bless.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
ml41887
Not Yet Wild

The two most obvious things would seem to be... do I have the correct plug, which I think you said you did...I'd triple check. Also did the plugs that you put in have the little washer that usually comes with spark plugs? If neither of those are the issue, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes and yes..... I have a mandolin to finish, a guitar with a broken headstock and Im going out of town this weekend.... I will be back Tuesday, it may have a screw or something dropped in it. But I will pull the head when I return home.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO