lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
craigst82
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Butterfly in her stomach?

OK guys, what do I do. I have acquired a 1991 marathon 2-cycle cart, to lift and use on a hunting farm. Motor was running good and I have painted, lifted, added wheels & tires, etc, having a blast working on this cart. MY PROBLEM - I noticed the throttle shaft was loose, actually able to pull the stem up out of the carburetor. (uhoh) So I figured it was just wore out. I purchased a new/used carb and replaced it. Upon removing the old carb I discovered the problem - throttle butterfly valve was gone, no plate, screw, nothing but a stem, (and it still ran ok.) I have put the "new" carb on and cart runs great, almost 20 mph nice and smooth. QUESTION - the throttle butterfly, Where did it go? It's not in the manifold. Should I pull the intake manifold and check the reed valve? Pull the reed valve and check the cylinder, crankcase? Did it go thru into the belly of the crank or is it laying on top of the piston? I have not had a motor apart and I am unfamiliar with the configuration. Will it hurt to keep running the cart or will this butterfly valve and set-screw eventually haunt me and cause motor damage? Opinions??? (Sorry for the long winded explaination)
craigst82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
bauschracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Butterfly in her stomach?

Do not see how it could go past the reed valves. You can remove the elbow just past the carb. and see if anything is there if it makes you feel better. The old carb. had issues. If the part got past the reed valves, it would have to go through a small slot in the piston. You can check on-line and look at rebuild kits that show pictures of the piston.
Mike
bauschracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
chance
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

2 strokes are as simple as it gets. I would definitely be looking for those parts in the motor. I got a spare motor (with no compression) from that same cart if you need any odd parts
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
craigst82
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, maybe the previous owner removed it so it would run "wide open". I don't have his number anymore but I guess I could ride by his house and ask him. It did run ok without it. I don't know that much about the motor, but I guess I should at least remove the intake mainfold and look a little closer at the reed valve.
craigst82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO