lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Western elegante problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabillyrider View Post
Thanks, yeah I am working on replacing all the wires and battery cables. Just trying to get it to move to see what else might be needed
My westerns also had 4 pole key switches. I believe they used them to ensure that when key was turned off the accessories also turned off. I was not able to use accessories unless key was on. Another one I have had two position key one for just cart to run and the second position for cart to run and accessories on. Both were 4 pole. I rewired both carts completely. That may end up being the only option and is probably for the better so you can incorporate a voltage reducer and fuse block as they did not have them from the factory.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
Rockabillyrider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
My westerns also had 4 pole key switches. I believe they used them to ensure that when key was turned off the accessories also turned off. I was not able to use accessories unless key was on. Another one I have had two position key one for just cart to run and the second position for cart to run and accessories on. Both were 4 pole. I rewired both carts completely. That may end up being the only option and is probably for the better so you can incorporate a voltage reducer and fuse block as they did not have them from the factory.
Yeah it’s stupid it’s a 3 Pole key switch but only two post are wire up lol I didn’t think I had seen a voltage reducer was going to look a bit harder but atleast I know I should just buy one lol. Was looking at the ones on scottyb’s site he recommended me to earlier. I’m wondering how none of the lights or radio didn’t blow being supplied 42 volts
Rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Yeah it’s stupid it’s a 3 Pole key switch but only two post are wire up lol I didn’t think I had seen a voltage reducer was going to look a bit harder but atleast I know I should just buy one lol. Was looking at the ones on scottyb’s site he recommended me to earlier. I’m wondering how none of the lights or radio didn’t blow being supplied 42 volts
That's because the accessories are not getting 42 volts. 42 volt cart has 7 six volt batteries. so to get 12 volts you send positive to one battery positive and negative to a different battery negative and you get 12 volts. It works totally fine and a lot of people do it that way but it really is not the correct way to do it long term for battery life because then when using accessories those two batteries draw down more than the others so the pack becomes uneven and when charging the other batteries are forced to charge longer to get the two low batteries back up to proper charge. Cooks the batteries and shortens their life. Western did not commonly use voltage reducers so it would be a good addition to the cart along with a fuse block with negative buss bar.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #14
Rockabillyrider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
That's because the accessories are not getting 42 volts. 42 volt cart has 7 six volt batteries. so to get 12 volts you send positive to one battery positive and negative to a different battery negative and you get 12 volts. It works totally fine and a lot of people do it that way but it really is not the correct way to do it long term for battery life because then when using accessories those two batteries draw down more than the others so the pack becomes uneven and when charging the other batteries are forced to charge longer to get the two low batteries back up to proper charge. Cooks the batteries and shortens their life. Western did not commonly use voltage reducers so it would be a good addition to the cart along with a fuse block with negative buss bar.
Good thing I will be Doing some re wiring, will have to check my wires and see what’s going to what and stop that junk set up for 12v’s lol
Rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #15
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Good thing I will be Doing some re wiring, will have to check my wires and see what’s going to what and stop that junk set up for 12v’s lol
I replied to your PM as well but what I found is that western ran one positive wire and then jumped that same wire from switch to switch for positive. If you're going to rewire the whole thing I would wire each accessory to the fuse block separately and then ground each for safety so its not all off of just 2 batteries. You would then wire reducer to fuseblock for power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO