lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor pretty burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Does the controller shown limit motor rpm ?
Don't see anything written on it scottyb
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Don't see anything written on it scottyb
The top speed of a stock PDS cart in freedom mode is 17 to 19 MPH.
With stock gears (12.44:1) and stock tire height (18"), the motor is spinning at 4,414RPM at 19MPH.

That is the fastest a stock PDS cart will travel on a flat hard surface due to RPM limiting. (It will go slightly faster going downhill, but regen braking kicks in to keep it from going much faster. IIRC 21.5 was the fastest I ever got my cart going down a steep hill when it was stock)

When the PDS controller imposed RPM limiting is removed, a stock PDS motor will spin at 5600RPM when powered from a 36V battery pack. (Roughly 24MPH with stock gears and tires)

I suspect your motor was severely overheated rather than exploded, or at least it doesn't look much like the motor I exploded. If you can move the shaft, the armature didn't explode. The armature in mine was so tight I couldn't force the armature out with a 8lb sledge hammer.

I exploded my motor by going down long steep hill with my foot on the floor while the motor was already very hot. Everything was fine until I lifted my foot as I neared the curve at the bottom of the hill and the regen braking kicked in. The motor was spinning over 8,000RPM at the time, it instantly seized and I slid to a stop from 33+ MPH.

The DCX controllerI was running back then, was taken out also. The XCT controller I now have has user adjustable RPM limiting as well as short circuit protection on the outputs.

-----------------

Towing the cart while the Run/Tow switch is in Run will burn up a motor.
Running the motor on the wrong field map can burn up a motor.
Driving very slow for a long period of time can burn up a motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (472.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The top speed of a stock PDS cart in freedom mode is 17 to 19 MPH.
With stock gears (12.44:1) and stock tire height (18"), the motor is spinning at 4,414RPM at 19MPH.

That is the fastest a stock PDS cart will travel on a flat hard surface due to RPM limiting...

When the PDS controller imposed RPM limiting is removed, a stock PDS motor will spin at 5600RPM when powered from a 36V battery pack. (Roughly 24MPH with stock gears and tires)
JohnnieB, if I may ask, what would the same PDS motor spin, and rough MPH be, if it were in a 48v txt? Or is it a different motor in the 48v?

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
JohnnieB, if I may ask, what would the same PDS motor spin, and rough MPH be, if it were in a 48v txt? Or is it a different motor in the 48v?

Thanks
Mike
The burned up motor shown in Post-1 of this thread is an Admiral MOT-B2, which is an aftermarket sepex motor that can operated at 36V or 48V. At 48V, it has 1/3 more speed and torque than it does at 36V. To run a MOT-B2, you need a sepex controller that has the correct field map for a MOTB2 loaded, or is user programmable, so it can be user loaded, typically an aftermarket controller like the Alltrax XCT.

A stock PDS motor, which is an entirely different motor than an Admiral MOPT-B2, will spin at about 5600 RPM when power by a 36V battery pack, which equates to about 24MPH with 12.44:1 gears and 18" tall(stock height) tires. Going to 42V ups the RPM by about 16.7% to 6535RPM, which is above the 6000RPM max recommended for a stock PDS and going to 48V ups it by 33.3% to 7465RPM, which far exceeds the max recommended RPM. However, with an Alltrax XCT48x00-PDS controller the max RPM allowed by the controller can be user adjusted to stay below the max recommended RPM.

FWIW: 6000 RPM on 18" tall tires is 25.8MPH.

Also, a stock PDS motor cannot tolerate more than 400A for long, so if a 500A controller is used, turn it down to 400A, then turn it back up when a more robust motor is installed.

----------
A TXT-48 has a different motor that a 36V PDS. The TXT-48 motor can handle more amps.

From what I understand, the MOT-B2 is a suitable motor for a TXT-48.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Overheat or overspeed. Who was driving a the time, and was it going down a steep hill? Did it get towed back home at high speed?

Too many RPMs turns the motor into a squirrels nest.
Finally after 6 months I talked to the previous owner of this cart today. I asked him what exactly what happened to this cart.

He said it quit way back in the woods on his property. They towed it three miles and nobody knew to flip the tow switch. They used a Chevy 4x4 to tow it with and he said they were going pretty fast.

I am shocked that many people who own these carts don't even know about the tow switch.

Probably was just something as simple as a controller when it quit and they trashed a good motor trying to get it back to his house.

The cart is still sitting right where I put it the day I bought it over 6 months ago. Not decided what I am going to do with it yet. Body is perfect with headlights and tail lights.
New tires were just put on it the week it quit he told me.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Motor pretty burned

I have a house here at the beach in SC and golf carts are every where. I have seen people towing them with cars back to their rental homes are back to the cart rental places with the smoke boiling out from them and they just keep right on pulling it. You would think they would stop but they don't I even have hollard at a few of them and they just keep right on going.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO