lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Yamaha G2 not wanting to start.

My friends picked up a 1989 Yamaha g2 gas golf cart. It was sitting in a warehouse full of parts for a long time. We put a battery in and it turned over. We emptied the fuel tank and cleaned the fuel pump and fuel lines out. Had to put a different key switch in it as we didn’t have the key. I took the carb off to clean and I never seen a carb so dirty in my life. Had a really hard time getting the center jet out way down in. Someone in the past damaged the threads. I got it out and gave it a good scrubbing and let it soak for a hour. Washed it all with hot water and dried with compressed air. Put it all back together and can’t get it to run at all. Not even with gas fed into the carb or starting fluid. It does fire and kick back once and awhile.

I took fuel line off carb and turned the cart over and plenty of fuel is coming out but plug is dry. The air box will not seal up 100% either. I took carb back apart and going to let it soak overnight. The spark is nice a bright blue. I even changed to coil out with another but it made no difference. Could stuck valves not let it fire? There is a lot of suction at the carb when turning over.

I’m at a loss with if this deep carb cleaning don’t work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any online manual for this machine?
Kbplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1989 Yamaha G2 not wanting to start.

Try compression check, a significantly low number (like 40psi) could indicate a pushrod out of place. That would keep one of the valves from opening.. also, check to verify throttle blade on carb is opening when pedal pressed. If it is opening, try spraying a shot of carb cleaner (or flammable brake cleaner) down the carb throat to rule out lack of fuel as a problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

The compression was around 110psi.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

When you did the compression test did you hold the throttle wide open? If not, the number will be much lower than actual.

If you did 110psi is way low, getting into the zone where it may be too low to run at all. Should be 165-175psi
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Okay, found a push rod was off the exhaust valve and not opening. Redid the compression test and found it to be around 60psi. Put a spare motor in, runs a lot better but compression was 130 on first revolutions. Put it into cart and runs much much better but will not go with air box connected. Noticed a throttle cable is very sticky from carb to rear diff area. Going to order a new cable, could this be my problem, or is it a carb problem yet.. really want the air box connected but it has no power with it connected.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha