lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Default 6v batteries - life left?

I was given a cart with 6 6v Trojan t105's. (the cart is a 1998 western 400 - which is a basically an ezgo chassis with a different body) The batteries have a date code of oct 2008 and when I received the cart, the batteries were completely dead (and I am assuming they had been for over a year). I was able to "bring them back from the dead" per say buy an initial trickle charge (in 12v pairs) then with the 36v charger. the good news is they work...kind of. they will hold a running charge for approx 30 minutes then the cart shutters upon acceleration, runs slow and my battery gauge goes nuts. At this time (after running for say 20 minutes) they are showing a stagnant 35 volts but when the cart "loads" them upon acceleration they drop to 22-24v and once off throttle they return to 35v. I have charged them probably 8 times since recovery from dead. after about 1 day off the charger with no use, each battery drops to 6.18-6.22v (each ranges within this range) for a total of 36.9 - 37.1v

my question(s) - I know the batteries are on borrowed time and will need replaced. Should I take them to their complete death or just replace now? What differences can I expect with new T105's - meaning stagnant voltage after charge (and surface charge leaves)? and what should the "pedal time" be on 36v?

I ultimately want to take this cart to my campgrounds which is a non electric grounds but I have a generator that will run this charger (inverter style capable of 30 amps out). I know ultimately a gas cart would be better in my situation but this one was free-99! As long as I can get decent "pedal time" with new batteries, it will not be a bear to have there.

I know there is a ton in this, I guess I am just looking for opinions and information before the season starts.
not enuf toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 6v batteries - life left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by not enuf toys View Post
... I was able to "bring them back from the dead" per say buy an initial trickle charge (in 12v pairs) then with the 36v charger. the good news is they work...kind of...
No those batteries are still DEAD... You stated that after sitting one day your standing voltage is 37 volts well that is already better than 30 % discharged and your under load voltage drops to under 24 volts where it should not be falling under 31 volts.... They are TOAST !!!

A new set of batteries will give miles and miles of use not the mere minutes your are getting now... But the key to keeping them like that will be if your willing/able to charge them (Generator) for hours (6 to 12?) on end after EVERY use? Batteries that are not kept fully charged as much as possible do not last or perform near as well as those that are kept at 100 % SOC as much as possable....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

without a doubt....they are.....

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is good news. You were able to charge them enough to make sure the cart works instead of going and buying new batteries only to find out you have other problems.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
... But the key to keeping them like that will be if your willing/able to charge them (Generator) for hours (6 to 12?) on end after EVERY use? Batteries that are not kept fully charged as much as possible do not last or perform near as well as those that are kept at 100 % SOC as much as possable....
Good thought and reminder

I am willing and able! We come off of the lake to the camper each evening when we are there and usually fire up the Generator to provide power for the camper's AC and microwave. In most circumstances to keep the heat and humidity out of the camper at night, the generator stays on all night for the AC. Plugging the cart in at night shouldnt be an issue.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Sir Nuke - that literally had me cracking up!!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTPIT HC View Post
There is good news. You were able to charge them enough to make sure the cart works instead of going and buying new batteries only to find out you have other problems.
You are 100% correct! And there were....multiple! Replaced micro switch in the F/R controler, had to rewire the key switch, replace lead wire to key switch, bypass reed switch and replace all of the battery cables within the bank (went to 4ga as i had some around the house). Everything after that was just cosmetics and cleaning.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by not enuf toys View Post
Good thought and reminder

I am willing and able! We come off of the lake to the camper each evening when we are there and usually fire up the Generator to provide power for the camper's AC and microwave. In most circumstances to keep the heat and humidity out of the camper at night, the generator stays on all night for the AC. Plugging the cart in at night shouldnt be an issue.
Camping with A/C ???

Now that's my kind of camping !!!
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Camping with A/C ???

Now that's my kind of camping !!!
HAHAH - we tried the whole tent thing for several years and my wife could never get in to it. the kids ended up in the dirt and mud the whole time too

AC and a furnace has become a must!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
not enuf toys
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the batteries last weekend. Wow what a difference!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO