lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Gamingit7
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Maintainer

Has anyone bought and used a battery maintainer for a 48 volt CC? I have a CC 48 Volt that my charger works but never shuts off. I was wanting to get a maintainer that I can leave plugged in all the time so it will cut off and on when it needs. I was just wondering if anyone else has this type of setup and if so what maintainer or smart charger did you go with and why. Thanks for all of the advice upfront!
Gamingit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingit7 View Post
Has anyone bought and used a battery maintainer for a 48 volt CC? I have a CC 48 Volt that my charger works but never shuts off. I was wanting to get a maintainer that I can leave plugged in all the time so it will cut off and on when it needs. I was just wondering if anyone else has this type of setup and if so what maintainer or smart charger did you go with and why. Thanks for all of the advice upfront!
ScottyB sells the DPI charger. That is what i have and is exactly what you are looking for. the only thing you still need to check the water level in your batteries monthly.. I leave mine plugged in till I am ready to ride.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Battery Tender is a great maintainer. I use the 12V ones for my car when I leave it. They make 48V ones for golf carts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingit7 View Post
This is what I am using and it works great. The night before I leave the coast, I charge the cart with the regular charger. The next morning before I leave, I disconnect the charger and hook up the maintainer. Sometimes it is hooked up as long as 4 weeks before I get back. It keeps them 100%.

http://shop.saveabattery.com/48-VOLT...se-2365-48.htm
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

The DPI charger does both. It charges and maintains the battery
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
smackdaddy66
Getting Wild
Club Car

How is this different than leaving my power drive charger plugged in? I thought it kept the battery pack charged.

Smackdaddy66
smackdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

There's a lot of threads on this topic in months gone by. Suffice it to say, your Powerdrive Charger DOES test the voltage every 10 days or so (depending on model) and will charge batteries when they drop below a certain level. But lots of people are hesitant to leave a 20 amp capable "beast" of a charger unattended for weeks or months on end (eg fear of fire, or charger failure which could cook the batteries, etc).

The maintainers are quite low amperage and are perceived to be less risky to leave running in an unoccupied and/or unmonitored garage or shed. Plus they have the added bonus of keeping the batteries at peak voltage vs. waiting 'til they drop to the "minimum-acceptable" voltage before initiating a charge cycle.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
There's a lot of threads on this topic in months gone by. Suffice it to say, your Powerdrive Charger DOES test the voltage every 10 days or so (depending on model) and will charge batteries when they drop below a certain level. But lots of people are hesitant to leave a 20 amp capable "beast" of a charger unattended for weeks or months on end (eg fear of fire, or charger failure which could cook the batteries, etc).

The maintainers are quite low amperage and are perceived to be less risky to leave running in an unoccupied and/or unmonitored garage or shed. Plus they have the added bonus of keeping the batteries at peak voltage vs. waiting 'til they drop to the "minimum-acceptable" voltage before initiating a charge cycle.
Thanks Joe, very well put.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
This is what I am using and it works great. The night before I leave the coast, I charge the cart with the regular charger. The next morning before I leave, I disconnect the charger and hook up the maintainer. Sometimes it is hooked up as long as 4 weeks before I get back. It keeps them 100%.

I use this one as well. Works great for me. I haven't used my big charger in four months. I mounted it under the seat. When I get off the cart, I plug it in. My pack is in better shape now since I started using it.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post

Hmm seems that product is no different than my DPI charger, except I don't have to have a main charger also

Tags
batteries, charging, maintaining
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car