lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Geauxtigers
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery maintainer????

Does anyone use a battery maintainer with your cart charger!!!
If so when do you use it???
Charge with cart charger every 2 weeks and use maintainer in between when in storage???
Geauxtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery maintainer????

I don't have a maintainer, but I did just get a DPI charger with float mode.
Leave it plugged in whenever the cart isn't moving.
I will go to camp this weekend and expect the volts to be at 51 + and ready to roll!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

When the cart isn't going to be used for a few days I charge the batteries completely and then put the maintainer on until I get back.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

haven't used my cart in 3 months and I have one of these..http://www.granitedigital.com/saveabattery.aspx. Its been plugged in the whole time, voltage is steady at 53.2
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Geauxtigers
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
haven't used my cart in 3 months and I have one of these..http://www.granitedigital.com/saveabattery.aspx. Its been plugged in the whole time, voltage is steady at 53.2
I have a save a battery
That's why I'm asking
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Geauxtigers
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
When the cart isn't going to be used for a few days I charge the batteries completely and then put the maintainer on until I get back.

Thx
Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery maintainer????

I'm late to the discussion but I might have something to contribute here.

I also use a DPI charger (which goes into a float mode after a full charge to keep the batteries topped off). But I still use and prefer my individual BatteryMINDER battery maintainer/conditioners on my 48v cart. Hooking each one up to a set of 6v batteries (no need to dissconnect anything).

Reason is I'm very impressed with them as a good product. When not in use on the cart they can go on a common 12v battery and I've been extremely happy how well they have kept my Trojans in tip top shape since they were brand new. I have yet to see any signs of sulfation inside the battery which they also advertise as preventing or breaking up any sulfation - the MAIN killer of lead acid batteries.

Another benefit to multiple chargers is it can cater to a the need of a specific battery rather than a whole bank, giving individual attention when one or two batteries that are low and keeping the whole pack properly balanced without over-charging/under-charging.

Otherwise If you are using only charger and one battery becomes low in a pack, the charger will over charge all the other batteries to get the pack to the proper total voltage. Doing this over and over kills the life of the pack and it will usually need replaced every 4 years or sooner.

BTW BatteryMINDER also makes a 36v and a 48v maintainer version for those who still want the desulfation benifit but only want one unit. The trade-off is your stuck using it only on the cart and you also loose the individual battery attention mentioned earlier to keep the pack balanced.

I hope that wasn't confusing and helped someone. Sorry it was so long-winded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

[QUOTE=UncleJerm76;1381019]I'm late to the discussion but I might have something to contribute here.

I also use a DPI charger (which goes into a float mode after a full charge to keep the batteries topped off). But I still use and prefer my individual BatteryMINDER battery maintainer/conditioners on my 48v cart. Hooking each one up to a set of 6v batteries (no need to dissconnect anything).

Okay,, when you say BatteryMinder, which one are you talking about ? Evidently they have more than one model,, is this basically the same thing as a battery tender I use on my motorcycle or 4wheeler? Do you hook one to each battery individually? Or to the whole pack while they are wired together ?
Sorry for the multiple questions, trying to picture it in my head cause I'd like to keep my new set of CR190's on some sort of maintainer, while still keeping my original CC charger.
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
DKRgoods
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My two pennies..... If your golf cart sits more than you drive it..... Save A Battery is an awesome charger/maintainer (This is what I use. Plus I have it mounted next to the batteries). If you drive more than it sits.... Something like a DPI charger is what you want. Chargers quickly and efficiently.

Now everyone has their opinions.... Just look at how you drive and buy the appropriate charger. Today's smart chargers are always a smart buy (pun intended) so always try to go with one of those.
DKRgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRgoods View Post
My two pennies..... If your golf cart sits more than you drive it..... Save A Battery is an awesome charger/maintainer (This is what I use. Plus I have it mounted next to the batteries). If you drive more than it sits.... Something like a DPI charger is what you want. Chargers quickly and efficiently.

Now everyone has their opinions.... Just look at how you drive and buy the appropriate charger. Today's smart chargers are always a smart buy (pun intended) so always try to go with one of those.

Thanks ! I'm still new to this , and my cart will likely sit much more than its used,
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car