lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
dunsio
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Starting problem OMC 22hp

Help. I have a problem starting Cushman 22hp 2- cyl Engine after 18 months off road. It does not fire up . Was told by previous owner that it ran fine. It came with a ''spare'' fuel pump. Spark plugs are on top of engine, and it sounds healthy on cranking, and cranks at a good speed. I have the petrol [gas] in a separate jar in case of dirt in tank etc. There is a spark. Where do I find the timing marks ? .. and replacement parts like plugs, manual and tow bar and etc. Its a 3 -wheeler but year unknown. Huxley is printed on load body. Thanks for any help, dunsio.
dunsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Starting problem OMC 22hp

So it spins over but does not start, I wouldnt mess with timing if it ran before being parked over a year ago.
You say it has spark so you need to determine if it is getting gas.
Make sure the gas tank is clean and fill with good fuel mix if you are not using the injector pump.
Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank until you get fuel pumping from hose. reinstall.
Try to start it by cranking it and using the choke.
Stop after 10 seconds of cranking and remove the plugs, are they wet with gas?
If not, I would remove the carb and do a complete teardown and cleaning of it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
dunsio
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
So it spins over but does not start, I wouldnt mess with timing if it ran before being parked over a year ago.
You say it has spark so you need to determine if it is getting gas.
Make sure the gas tank is clean and fill with good fuel mix if you are not using the injector pump.
Remove the fuel line from the carb and crank until you get fuel pumping from hose. reinstall.
Try to start it by cranking it and using the choke.
Stop after 10 seconds of cranking and remove the plugs, are they wet with gas?
If not, I would remove the carb and do a complete teardown and cleaning of it.
THANK YOU FOR THIS HELP. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY '' GOOD FUEL MIX '' ? SURELY THIS ENGINE IS A 4 -STROKE AND USES PLAIN GAS, OR PLAIN GASOLINE ..? SHOULD IT NOT RUN EASILY BY SUCKING THE GAS FROM A SEPARATE CONTAINER..[UNTIL i CLEAN THE PETROL TANK ] ? YR Help is Appreciated, dunsio jan 13th
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Like Crash said the carb is probably gummed up to bad to pass
fuel, check the plugs after spinning it over.
You will have to remove the carb and use a set of torch tip cleaners
in every orifice of the carb. Often you can see through them but they are restricted.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

oops, my bad, I read "Cushman 22hp 2- cyl Engine" and my brain said 2 cycle instead of 2 cylinder and I havent even started drinking!
Please disregard that part of my statement.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
rib33024

Don't feel to bad Crash, I read it the same way, i was thinking two stroke dunsio, try out what Crash, and DOOms said, if it sat that long i'am sure that carb is dirty, and if your trying to run it off that jar of gas, you still need to take the line off the carb and turn the motor over till it pumps gas out of the gas line to the carb, then hook it back to the carb and turn it over for a few seconds and if it don't try to start, check the plugs as said before, to see if they are wet
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After sitting 18 months, you will have to remove the carb and fuel pump to disassemble and clean. Try just giving the engine a squirt of ether ( starting fluid ) and see if it starts up. If it does you know the fuel system is at fault. I have used a product called B-12 carb cleaner with good success. Acetone also works well. Disassemble your carb and pump carefully and you may be able to save the diaphragms and gaskets. These will be ruined by carb cleaners. Use twist ties ( from trash bags or bread bags ) to run through all the little ports in the carb. You will need to strip a couple of inches of the plastic off to reveal the thin wire. These work great, as some of those ports are very small. When you are done cleaning, blow out all the passages with compressed air. This all takes a bit of time, but if you don't do it, leftover crud in the system will leave you stuck somewhere!
You should run carb cleaner through all the fuel lines and replace the filter and all the hoses. The fuel tank is the hardest! I would recommend taking it to a machine shop and have it " boiled out " ( hot tank process ). Remove the fuel gauge sending unit first! This will clean the tank to perfection, but you will have to repaint it, as this process cleans to bare metal! Good luck on your cart!!!
These were very good machines in their day!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

And Welcome to BGW!! Post up some pics of your cart and beautiful area since you are from "out of town"
Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
dunsio
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Like Crash said the carb is probably gummed up to bad to pass
fuel, check the plugs after spinning it over.
You will have to remove the carb and use a set of torch tip cleaners
in every orifice of the carb. Often you can see through them but they are restricted.
>>Thank you DOOmsman, I will have another go at the carb-clean. I presume then, to start ,I should crank at half choke and low throttle. dunsio.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
dunsio
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
oops, my bad, I read "Cushman 22hp 2- cyl Engine" and my brain said 2 cycle instead of 2 cylinder and I havent even started drinking!
Please disregard that part of my statement.
Thanking you.[2-many Abbreviations Crushed 2-gather by A-mateur!] I've been told that its about 600cc, 22hp, and that both cylinders fire simultaneously and can be fitted with implements and PTO equip. Regards, dunsio.13thJan.

Tags
cushman omc 22hp
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts