lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Which clutch is bad?

I know that one of the clutches is bad. I think it is the drive clutch but, with the cost I want to make sure I buy the right one first. Cart pulls anytime the starter is engaged. drive clutch is at its smallest and the driven clutch is at its largest. Belt is tight. When riding, gear ratio is always at its lowest ratio and rpms max out in just a few feet.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which clutch is bad?

Apply the park brake,put tranny in neutral, and run the engine with the seat lifted up. You can see the belt and clutches work, or not work throughout the rpm range. If the drive clutch won't close and force the belt up the sheaves there is a problem.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like the primary may be jammed. Typically if the primary is stuck it will drag the belt and try to make the cart roll all the time.
Take the belt off and try to close the moveable sheave of the drive clutch by hand. It should move pretty smoothly. If not, that's probably your problem clutch. What type of clutch is it? Most can be rebuilt, but that also depends if there is wear on the sheaves.

If the secondary is stuck it will not open and allow the belt to pull down, which can prevent the primary from closing. This will cause what you describe, staying in the lowest ratio. Usually the secondary is not able to be opened by hand, so the only way to verify it's a problem is to disassemble it. But usually if the primary is working properly you should still be able to see it close in just a bit and grab the belt as the engine starts. It should also open up away from the belt when the engine stops.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

The cart sat outside for a couple of years. I have had it on a lift and watched both clutchs and neither moves as I rev the motor.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #5
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

With the belt off, you should be able to slide the one on the engine in and out. If you grab the sides of the driven clutch, rotate one side forward and the other side back. They should snap back.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. It was the drive clutch. Was seized up. Used a press to take apart and cleaned up. Works fine now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO