lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

Comet duster they make different ones, some are flush some inside some stub the taper outside the clutch. Not sure on 780, but a clutch for "X" application should have the same offset as another for X. My duster for an ezgo is closer to the engine than the yamaha, with the same taper.

Hey nice brackets, links look really nice!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #22
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
JUST WENT OUT And checked the new 780 comet i have and it is flush
Thanks for checking that, I ordered a 780 from CPP this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Hey nice brackets, links look really nice!
Thanks, it only takes a little bit more time to make things look good after you make them functional.

I'm still working on getting the front body off the cart and figuring out where and how I'm going to mount the radiator up front and make a cool looking grill with some air flow.
I hope the clutch get here before the weekend so I can finish up the motor mounts so I can figure out the rest of all the things that I haven't even thought about yet. It never ends.
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

OK, I got my new Comet clutch and belt from CPP today, great service I must say.

I'm so glad that when I made the clutch adapter for the engine that I didn't weld it up until I had the engine mounts all done because that made it so easy to make another shaft to accept the 1" comet clutch without having to cut out the taper shaft that I made for the stock Yamaha clutch.

Now that I have the Comet clutch mounted on the new shaft, I gained about 3/4" to shift the motor to the left. By going to a 1-3/16" belt from a 1" belt, I lost 3/32". It looks like I can take 1/4" off the flywheel and make up some of the loss from the belt change. I'll have to see if I can make anything else a little bit skinnier and gain a little bit more.

Now I have a question about belt alignment. It appears to me that the inboard sheave on the drive clutch is the stationary side and the out board side of the driven clutch is the stationary side. If that is the case then do I just run a straight edge from the closed driven clutch sheaves to the center of the open drive clutch sheaves and call it good? Does the belt actually shift from left to right as it is shifting from low to high of am I missing something? I don't want to weld my motor mounts in only to find that I will have a belt alignment issue. For those of you that know, please give me direction as I only want to do this once.

I am hoping to get some advice on this soon as I have the morning free tomorrow and would like to be able to get my motor mounts welded in.

I also have to deal with an interference with the throttle cable mounting bracket on the differential, the cable mount is hitting the bell housing plate on the motor. I am thinking that I will just take a center to center measurement on the cable bracket as it is, and the bend it over to the other side of the bell housing plate and maintain the same dimensions. I'm thinking that should work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new clutch shaft.jpg (189.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg comet clutch.jpg (111.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg straight clutch shaft.jpg (118.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg taper clutch shaft.jpg (118.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg throttle cable inteferance.jpg (155.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #24
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch alignment.jpg (167.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg clutch to flywheel.jpg (148.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #25
turn-n-burn
Gone Wild

Yes the belt should move symetrically inward as the clutch shifts from low to high ratio.
What i think you need to do is mock the engine up in the cart with the belt on and spread the rear clutch apart as wide as it can go. it's easiest to remove the rear clutch and pull the spring for this so you are not fighting it. Once that's done push the belt down into the rear snugly. This is the position of the belt on the secondary when "fully shifted". I then pull the belt up level with the outer edge of the side of the clutch closest to the engine as to mock up a fully shifted primary. now you will be able to "eyeball" the alignment of the belt for initial adjustment. Staring straight down at the rear clutch Measure the distance from the outside edge of the belt to the inside contact surface on the secondary. alignment needs to be relatively close to prevent belt damage. Don't ask me how I know. Hope this helps
turn-n-burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #26
turn-n-burn
Gone Wild

In your pic your alignment looks quite close as is! I've found that once aligned the belt tends to ride slightly inward of center on the primary when sitting shut off or at idle
Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #27
turn-n-burn
Gone Wild

By the way, awesome build so far !
Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #28
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I can see why many say the G16, G22 and G29 Yamaha's are great to build. I like the frame style on this G16.
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #29
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

T-N-B, thanks for the help.

I had a little time this morning and I was able to cut almost 5/16" off the flywheel and that got me closer but now the heads of the clutch adapter bolts are keeping me from moving the clutch closer to my now thinner flywheel. I'm going to counter bore the bolt holes and use socket head bolts but I don't have any 10mm1.5 bolts. I will try to pick them up this afternoon. In pic#1 you can see the little gap between the clutch and flywheel that I'm trying to eliminate.

It might seem like over kill to fuss about 1/4" here or 5/16" there but it all adds up and I have been able to move the engine over a little bit more than an inch, and when you don't have much room to start with and inch is huge.

I was looking around the shop and saw some Screaming Eagle mufflers that came off my son's sportster and now my head is spinning up a way to fit them into this cart, dual exhaust out the back might look pretty cool on this rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg better alignment.jpg (144.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cutting flywheel.jpg (117.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hex head flywheel bolts.jpg (162.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #30
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just used the exact same metal lathe to make some sleeved nuts out of collar nuts (finished collar nut on right). Great little machine.

...Looking forward to updates, I hope you continue to post pics of this build even when you aren't running into problems! Love what I see so far, keep it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8175.jpg (147.0 KB, 0 views)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps