lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #101
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 3 Cyl Yanmar in a G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You better get moving there are only 8 or so weeks left in the carting season unless you are one of winter jacket cart drivers.
Down the bay shore only a few miles from you, we only know 2 seasons.....Shoobie season and non-Shoobie season. Perhaps you don't see it as much on the island as we do.

Well I had a very nice 5-day labor day weekend but I didn't get a thing done on my cart. I did however manage to get a fair amount of things done in the last day and a half.

I had forgotten a few little things in the fabrication department. I needed to make a way to tension the drive belt other than a pinch bar pushing the motor forward and tightening the motor mount bolts. I welded 2 nuts to the rear cross member on the swing arm and 2 screws to push the motor forward and hold it in place.

I made a red neck rotisserie off the forks of my Bobcat to hang the frame and got it painted. I also got the swing arm, motor cradle, and rear axle painted.

A little side note here: The tractor and implement paint made by Majic and sold at Tractor supply is a great product to work with and it holds up great. The $15 Harbor Freight LPHV gravity feed paint gun is one of the few gems from HF. I don't have stock in either company but thought it was worth the mention.

I'm going to let the paint cure over night and then I can start final assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 232.jpg (149.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 234.jpg (344.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 235.jpg (350.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 236.jpg (148.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 230.jpg (143.5 KB, 0 views)
rmack898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #102
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It never gets here like I have seen it there, but weekends are a lot different than week days.Tues thru thurs are pretty quiet.After columbus day weekend MUCH quieter.They call them sundowners here.I shouldn't make fun I was a sundowner until 2010.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #103
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
It never gets here like I have seen it there.
From Memorial day to Labor day, we basically cant leave the house. If you get to the grocery store before 7:00 am on Sunday morning, you're OK, anytime after that and forget it. I hate living here.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #104
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The GF lived her late teens there around the ferry area.She was thinking about moving there until we tried a couple of weekend events. One time over an hour across town. Loves downe township now.My now retired boss tried avalon and couldn't take the summers for the reasons you describe.We have about 4 or more ex ocean city dwellers that moved here for the same reason.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #105
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I can't imagine, I lived in Traverse City for a year working its a big summer town on lake MI here. Summer is maybe triple the traffic. But if you get to know the back streets you can get around since the town is only a few miles wide. Wonderful place though. The locals hated it lol. I laughed since I'd worked in Detroit for a summer too. Went down to Woodward to check out all the cars, had to cross Detroit to get home, was over an hour at 85mph all the way...with no traffic.

Some of that equipment paint is nice. If you have a flat area get one of the throw away 3" rollers and use that, it comes out shiny as spray.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #106
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sho,
We have 85,000 year round residents in the county. For 3 months of the year the population swells to over 950,000. I am surrounded by motels and camp grounds and life sucks in the summer.

This is the 3rd time I have used the TS paint and I'm even more impressed with it. For $9 a quart you just can't beat it.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #107
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I guess the good news is your heading into ghost town time soon.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #108
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its already ghost time here, summer is over. That is good and bad lol. Yeah that sucks, that is a huge summer town. I get on a lake here and complain on holidays when everyone has company, people wandering all over making a mess, but its nothing like that. There is a tv show about strange things people inherit. Caught one about an old amusement park on the beach in NJ. They built condos there and taxes went up so high they would have had to sell out the land, finally the government cut it back down so they could stay. It was crazy.

I've also had good luck with rustoleum, sometimes they have a color you need. Ford tractor blue from a ford dealer is also cheap and holds up great.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #109
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

OK, so enough about crappy places to live and obnoxious summer residents.

I started on final assembly and managed to get the rear axle and engine mounted on the swing arm. As things are starting to come together I'm starting to think about the electrical system. This motor has a Denso alternator and I'm not quite sure how to wire it. It has two terminals labeled "IG" and "L" in addition to the main connection which I think is the positive terminal. I'm thinking that the "IG" terminal goes to the run terminal on the key switch and that the "L" terminal is going to has some sort of external load on it to excite the alternator. If anyone knows how to wire this alternator speak up because I don't want to blow the diodes in the regulator by wiring it wrong.

I've attached a few pics of the alternator if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 238.jpg (150.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 239.jpg (121.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 242.jpg (104.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 243.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 244.jpg (182.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #110
rmack898
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Moving forward.
I got the swing arm installed in the chassis. I made a list of things to do during the mock up but I forgot to add that I needed to make new shock bushings for the rear shocks. So I spent a little bit of time making 15MM bushings to fit the rear shocks into the hangers.

I'm sure there are a butt load of other things that I forgot to add to the to--do list but I'll take them one at a time as they show up during the assembly.
The bottom line here is that I'm moving forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 245.jpg (172.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 246.jpg (197.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps