lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default How to build a $650 killer 460

For those who want something that get to a 5600 rpm red line in a very short distance even with 24" tires or high speed gears. You start with Vegacarts 460 assemble it yourself kit $399 delivered to your door.ADD from NRracing his $130 1.3 ratio shaft mounted roller rockers,$45 adjustable main jet. You could stop there and dent up your stock valve cover but I would recommend spending another $58 for the whole billet valve cover kit. So at this point your grand total is $633. I assure you just putting these parts together you will have a real screamer. BUT before you put that head together why not break out the dremel like tool and clean up the bumps and rough areas in both ports and also clean up the valve pockets below the seats. Then depending on your cart find a high flow air cleaner that fits. Set both the idle and main jets at 1.5 turns and you should be ready for your final adjustments. Take it easy for the first couple of tanks of gas and do 20 min, 1 hour, and 10 hour oil changes. And from then on drive it like you stole it. ENJOY P.S. You should spend the $'s for a decent tach since this thing will want to blow past the 5600 rpm and 45 mph. P.P.S Also remember not to stomp on the gas like your stocker or you might get hurt.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: How to build a $650 killer 460

Thanks - appreciate your expertise on the 460. Is the billet valve cover from VC or NRRacing, or either?
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I don't think VC has a billet cover. I used an Aussie speed unit but I had to notch my head,drill and tap the crankcase vent and come up with a mounting bolt. The NR unit has all this done for you. It was not available when I built my engine. The whole idea here was you could get everything needed from just 2 very reliable suppliers. The adjustable jet might be available for less elsewhere but NR's is a quality piece and fit with the idea of just using 2 parts vendors. Again could you get by with cheaper rocker arms ? Probably, but the NR shaft mounted roller units are rated for 10,000 rpms and hold the lash setting very well. The whole idea here simple,durable,powerful,and very tuneable if you decide on further upgrades. P.S. I have the VC shaft mounted champion rockers on my 2 generators but didn't buy billet covers for them.Used the old hot rodders selective denting method.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

AND if you have another $300 or so burning a whole in your pocket while ordering from NR add the 6500 rpm valve kit and billet flywheel. I have those 2 items shelf testing here in my dining room so can't report my exact findings on them but are in future plans. There is always something magic about 6 K + rpms.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
AaronW
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good thread. I stumbled upon this and I think it can work too.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/169F-4...rb_p_1212.html

We love the continued R&D and support for everyone! Keep it up!

-Aaron
AaronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Ironically that is the actual adjustable main jet in my 2 circuit carb. His shipping adds some $'s. My idea here was to get all the parts with just 2 suppliers. BUT if you have an existing clone ,460, 625 OR if you don't mind making 3 separate orders that is probably the best deal out there. Even more ironic the El cheapo $10 E Bay unit is in the 3 circuit Shepard modified 24 mm carb presently on the cart. Alas those no longer are available.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Let us not overlook the fact this is all brand NEW parts. Not some lawn tractor engine or stocker with some parts or another put on some old engine.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronW View Post
Good thread. I stumbled upon this and I think it can work too.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/169F-4...rb_p_1212.html

We love the continued R&D and support for everyone! Keep it up!

-Aaron
Yes the kit has parts that will fit a 390-625cc engine - if your looking to do this your self -- the kit has a lot of parts that you don't use and can confuse the inexperienced carburetor builder. For a 460 or 625 - use only the needle and brass jet -- opened to .062 or 1/16"
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
CubmasterJosh
Not Yet Wild

Total cart newb here.

I've been reading and researching here a lot lately.

I've got a project in the works. I have a donor 2001 Ezgo TXT gas cart. (2001.5 and up 4 bolt steering style)

I am missing a bunch of trinkets for suspension but I've got a line on a 4 bolt style rolling chassis electric cart.

I haven't come to any decision on exact motor yet. 460 seems most bang for buck.

625 seems ideal for torque and good charging without s/g. But I have a s/g

I have seen a few vtwins for sale at semi reasonable prices

I also have a G16 cart with rusted out frame rails but the swing arm is in great shape so I am planning to use that to fab my own cradle.

I am still collecting parts for this build

Going to do a 6" lift and run the 22" tires I got with the ezgo.

I think I have recently discovered my rear end has high speed gears in it. I marked the brake drum and rotating the driven clutch about 6 5/8 turns makes the brake drum complete one rotation. Guessing that mean 6:1 in the rear end ?

Now I am not necessarily wanting to build a beast mode cart. I have a 10 and 8 year old that I want to be able to tool around on it.

Strictly a neighborhood cruiser at this point. No hills around here in Florida

I am curious what you experienced folks would do in my shoes. My gut tells me I'd be fine putting a Predator in this and running it stock with governor. My brain says predator is a waste of money when the 460 is $400

The other side of my gut says go with a 625 and have a cart that does wheelies and 50 mph (or whatever ridiculous top end should be)

Funds are always an issue, lol. I could save up and manage a 625 and a new clutch though I think.

Running a 460 stock with a s/g seems like the most reasonable thing.

Appreciate any input y'all may have on choosing a motor.

-Josh
CubmasterJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I think I have recently discovered my rear end has high speed gears in it. I marked the brake drum and rotating the driven clutch about 6 5/8 turns makes the brake drum complete one rotation. Guessing that mean 6:1 in the rear end?

-Josh[/QUOTE]

To check your gear ratio -- put a white mark on the secondary clutch -- put a white mark on a rear tire. Sitting on the ground - in forward - push the cart one complete revolution of the wheel [mark to mark] count how many times the clutch turns and this will give you an accurate count for the gear ratio.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps