lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cart won't climb ramps into truck. Normal?

Hi all, I have a separate thread going about potential solid-state upgrades, but I'm curious...

36V resistor cart with new batteries (about 10 cycles on them so far). 23" tires. It won't climb itself up the ramps into the bed of my pick-up truck. Has to be pushed up the ramps. Is this normal for this style cart? Or is this an indication that something is wrong?
IronGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default re: Cart won't climb ramps into truck. Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGypsy View Post
Hi all, I have a separate thread going about potential solid-state upgrades, but I'm curious...

36V resistor cart with new batteries (about 10 cycles on them so far). 23" tires. It won't climb itself up the ramps into the bed of my pick-up truck. Has to be pushed up the ramps. Is this normal for this style cart? Or is this an indication that something is wrong?
How far does it get? That could potentially be a pretty steep climb depending on the truck and ramps.

My 1996 36v EzGo climbs the ramps on my trailer like they aren't there, but that is a little bit different of a scenario.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

with the tire size, and being a resistor cart, your probably dropping to 100 amps, this isn't unheard of for a steep climb like that. it just runs out of power. we use back up to a hill behind my shop to take some of the angle out of the ramps

Last edited by bird6246; 11-03-2016 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: added info
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

lack of torque with having 23" tires . happens to most that dont upgrade other parts
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright thanks guys. It gets almost to the top but just won't quite go the distance.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cart won't climb ramps into truck. Normal?

I'm close to ordering a solid state conversion kit from ScottyB... the batteries are already brand new... so the only thing left that could be wrong after this is the motor.

Is there any way to test the motor? I searched and found some threads showing how to test it with jumper cables, but... what should the result be? I know it's going to spin because the cart operates. It just sucks. How do I know if the motor is working as well as it's supposed to?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor is working, okay but ..... If the motor has 30 yr of use on it. It has to be worn. It has to lost some of it's performance. The question is do you spend $250 to refresh the 2.5 hp motor (brushes and bearing) or do you spend $425 for a NEW 8 hp 22mph. Same amount of work, same amount of shipping

Also I have not seen a load test on the batteries. The jury is still out on your performance problem until we can have a battery pack voltage reading with the cart sitting at the bottom of the truck loading ramp and a live reading when the cart is just stopping near the top of the ramp - this will be a true load lest
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Also I have not seen a load test on the batteries. The jury is still out on your performance problem until we can have a battery pack voltage reading with the cart sitting at the bottom of the truck loading ramp and a live reading when the cart is just stopping near the top of the ramp - this will be a true load lest
Thanks Scotty, I can do that... I'll post back with results this weekend.

I also have a multimeter with a built-in amp clamp, but I think the amp clamp is just for AC current. I'm not sure that it would be accurate for DC current.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGypsy View Post
Thanks Scotty, I can do that... I'll post back with results this weekend.

I also have a multimeter with a built-in amp clamp, but I think the amp clamp is just for AC current. I'm not sure that it would be accurate for DC current.
Amp clamp,won't work as it senses the wave of AC current which DC won't have.

Upgrade the motor and get the kit from Scotty B and it will jump,up the ramp.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Video attached! Multimeter plugged into the charger port. Starts at about 38 volts. Drops to around 34 volts under load, then down to as low as 31 volts when the cart stops at the top of the ramps.

Edit: video won't load, but voltages are noted above. I'll try to get the video to load tomorrow!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car