lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default upgrade

Just a stupid ? from a nubie. If I want to upgrade to 48v on my 95 medalist couldn't I just buy all new electronics for a newer 48v model & bolt it right on with new batteries? I know that takes some of the fun out of upgrades. Or is this not possible? First thing I need is to pull a hill better.I think I already have 4ga wires. I have seen on threads a 12v boost. Can I add this on the back after the controller & get what I need to pull a hill.
Capnraysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: upgrade

Welcome, Capn.That is one of the smarter Qs from a newb I've heard.... Basically the answer is yes. But, why settle for stock? You are gonna buy a controller so why buy stock when you could have a 480 amp? Switching to 48v is the best 'bang' for the buck, IMO. These little 36v motors respond well to the increased voltage. You have a couple of big Qs....
1. How are you going to charge 48v? A new 48v Charger or a 36 and a 12v?
2. How are you going to supply 48v? 2 additional 6v batteries ( mounted in the bagwell or..)? OR, anew set of six 8v batteries?
3. Where are you gonna find a big enough hill to run up and down !?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You can buy the newer electronics but it will probly cost you more than just buying the individual components. E-Z-GO did not come out with 48 volts until this year with the all new E-Z-GO RXV. You will have to buy everything, which includes controller, throttle, motor WITH the rear end....so I think that takes going that route out of the question.

Easiest and cheapest way would be to send your motor off to EMP-Lighting Redesign and have your motor reworked. Cost should be around $300 or so for everything including shipping.....then after that if you still want more (which you will) a controller upgrade is in order...then of coarse after that upgrade to 48 volts.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

And after 48 volts??????????
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Front Brakes!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I'm a itching and scracting to get down south and check out my possible FIXXXXes.
I might take my new to me CC and transfer new parts to it and take old EZGo to the ramp on the pond. WE always need some fish houses.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Cap if you want the most bang for the buck, stay with series motor and the most voltage you can handle. 36 to 48 is a major upgrade in speed and torque. I'm stuck at 48v, but will have 72v shortly on stock motor. Match your volts to your controller.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

We'll actually I'm stuck at zero propelsion. But, not for long. I 've got some ideas to my problems.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i like the sound of the reworked motor.i think ill go that way.then upgrade my controler a little later.i may be able to do some of this quicker according to wifeypoos alloted budget.i also want a lift &wheels & tires.gotta buff out the body.its oxidized quite badly.im gonna do it like you eat an elephant.one bite at a time
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Brakes , we don need no stinkin brakes.mine are very good.stomp the brake pedal , all 4 wheels lock.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO