lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
cclingma
Getting Wild

Default To big block or not to big block

I've been lurking around this sight for a few days just reading away. I've been a member on other forums for some time but just found this one.

I'm losing sleep over the big block delima. I've received alot of tips on things to do to liven up my current 96 club car 290 but I'm still not sure that I don't want to save a few more pennies and briggs the cart out. My cart is a 96CC with a 6" long travel and 22' tires. It doesn't do bad but it isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. I've read so many post but still have questions.

1. How's the vibration with an 18 or 23 as felt in the cart....maybe compaired to a 660 Rhino?

2. Fuel consumption?

3. I see some guys are running stock Briggs mufflers, some headers and aftermarket, some custom creations. Do all of these require fine carb tunning or are the Briggs pretty tolerant?

4. I used to take the quads to the dunes quite a bit and I'd like to go back. Will and 18 or 23 on 22" tires make for a pretty impressive ride in the dunes???just get around??? or somewhere in between???

Thanks, just can't get enough info to feed the hunger.
cclingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Default Re: To big block or not to big block

I put the 16 hp V-twin Kawasaki in my 94 Club Car and love it. GPS'd at 38.9 on the street and it will go anywhere at the dunes except out in the really big ones. Actually I've just never done it... it just might. I have the stock clutch and muffler. You will love a big block motor.

Boo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 3.jpg (92.3 KB, 21 views)
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

I have a 98 CC with a 21hp Briggs. I have a 96 axle for the propper rotation though. I love it!! I bought a header and muffller from CPP and I drove it around with out the muffler a littlr bit and then with the muffler with no mods to the carb. The CC's have rubber engine plate mounts the nearly eliminates vibration. You will get some vibration of you have big knobby tires at slow speeds. Fuel consumption is a little more but it IS a 2 cyl. I have 26" tires and depending on your terrain and tire tread you can do what you want!! --AUstin
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Go for the big block and don't look back. I just got mine on the road today for the first time and all I have to say is WOW. I have the Briggs 18hp from Tom at CPP and the off the line power is awesome and it is fast. Here is a link to some video I shot today of my cart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmECPr2dBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjKEWkRuxo

Jimbo
bigred-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice vids that cart boogies
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I have the 18 B&S for 2 years now. Best upgrade I've done to the cart. I love it. Go for it, you won't be disappointed!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
todwil
TOD WILD

BIG BLOCK is the only way to go the bigger the engine the bigger
the smile!!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

My cart is at Tom's place as I type this. I thought I had my mind made up before I got there. Then Tom started up a cart with the 18 with a header and the cam. I desided on a 23, rev kit and that cam! Cant wait to try it out. If my schedule wasn't so wacked, and I could stay home for more then a few days I would have liked to do it myself. But this way I know it is done right. Tom has been a great guy to deal with.
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorebeer View Post
My cart is at Tom's place as I type this. I thought I had my mind made up before I got there. Then Tom started up a cart with the 18 with a header and the cam. I desided on a 23, rev kit and that cam! Cant wait to try it out. If my schedule wasn't so wacked, and I could stay home for more then a few days I would have liked to do it myself. But this way I know it is done right. Tom has been a great guy to deal with.
AWESOME!!!!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
cclingma
Getting Wild

You guys are making this sound good. I appreicate the thoughts as well as the videos there Bigred. Your cart in the videos have the header and muffler from CPP?
cclingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!