lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

Default GX390 relocating intake and exhaust.

I need to relocate the gas tank(easy), intake, and exhaust so my engine will be like 5" shorter and fit into my golf cart. What are my best options? Reuse the existing exhaust flange and weld on a custom pipe? What about intake?
BestAsbestos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: GX390 relocating intake and exhaust.

You can get a header pipe and just cut it up to fit, or you can get a flange and weld it up. I've done both, not too difficult if you can weld. You might even find a header/pipe made to fit your cart. There are several places that specialize in GX390 and clone engine parts.

The intake is a little more tricky, but as long as you have the room you can use an aftermarket air filter setup, most clone places sell them. Some carts have frame sections that might interfere with the filter since the carbs come out at an angle facing the right rear tire.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts makes custom fit headers for most carts with the 390-460 clone engine. They and ARC,NR and Bullfrog racing all sell air cleaner set ups for this engine. I don't know of any other cart engine with more potential sellers and parts options. Page 13 of my Vc 460 shows the VC 460 billet mikuni intake manifold used as a K&N filter mount. This set up is very compact and really increases air flow. Of course there are a lot of ways to do this. P.S The billet intake manifold mates up perfectly to the air cleaner side of the clone carb.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Robertson torque tubes made my custom header to order. You can take the flange and weld your own pipe, you can buy the flange too. I put a rotating coupler in mine so I could hang the muffler on the frame.

I made an intake but was a project. I made a flange to bolt on head and a hose bung (whick you can also buy, but I made one because I could and made it very short for more clearance), then made an intake tube from a HD sink drain brass 1.25 size. I cut it to run a tube around the cylinder and put the carb above the block and cylinder on the other side of head. I bought that size hose for a car gas tank filler hose and cut it to connect the tubes. I ran a CV carb on it later I got a slide carb and made another adapter for that. I use an airbox out of a chevy cavilier. I am the king of hose clamps now lol. But the carb is also mounted to the airbox via big hose, the airbox does not move with engine its on the frame, so the hose connections also serve to allow movement from engine on swingarm to the airbox on frame. You can see it here:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=67962&page=33

It runs great I don't think I have any issues from the long intake. Starting is same as before no problems.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gx390, honda, modifications
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!