lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Controller/Motor Upgrade Path?

I have a 2017 Precedent (JE1720) that has the stock controller and motor. I believe it's set to speed code 3, as it only does about 17mph on level ground. I would like to get some more speed out of the cart. I thought about having the dealer apply speed code 4, but that requires a long drive with a truck and trailer that I don't have. I also don't like that I don't have full control of the cart using the factory controller.

Is there a controller that I could swap out that will work with my current motor to get additional speed? (Perhaps 25mph?) Can that same controller be reconfigured (by me) if I were to later swap out the factory motor for another DC motor? Can that same controller be reconfigured to do AC if I decided I wanted to switch to an AC setup instead of DC?

Thank you.
kevinmoore73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Controller/Motor Upgrade Path?

I think a Altrax or Navitas would get you what you want for now and open up for more speed and control and be used if you upgraded motors. I’m sure others will chime in but I think the controller upgrade for sepex motors like you would have really wake them up.

I doubt You would find one that will allow you to switch from DC to AC down the road though.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ac controllers and DC controllers are traditionally not the same, and not able to switch between Ac or DC motors. The function of the motors is totally different.
Someone may have come up with a more dynamic controller that I don’t know about yet. I know Navitas makes both AC and DC controllers, but as to which might be best for your wants/needs would be a question for someone who knows and installs them.

David at Revolution Golf Cars sells both Navitas and Alltrax, and either one should get you close to your target speed with the stock motor.
How old are your batteries? Any power upgrade needs good batteries to supply the extra current needed. Batteries that are 4-5 years old originals will cause any upgrade to fall short of your expectations.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. I figured a controller that could be programmed to to DC or AC was a pipe dream.

I like the Navitas controllers, mostly because I'd prefer using Bluetooth over USB. They also look like they'd fit better/easier in my cart than an Alltrax.

As for my batteries, I replaced the original PD+ batteries with Trojan T875s a few weeks ago. They only have about 8 miles on them.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmoore73 View Post
I have a 2017 Precedent (JE1720) that has the stock controller and motor. ....
Is there a controller that I could swap out that will work with my current motor to get additional speed? (Perhaps 25mph?) ....
Our 2003 IQ was about the same as yours stock.
With a 400A Alltrax and associated heavy duty cables & solenoid it will do around 28 mph on flat with 10.3:1 gearing.
Very happy with the Alltrax and there is a 500A version.
Alltrax offers a bluetooth module for XCT controllers, but it costs extra.
A 500A Navitas controller should get the speed you're looking for.
Do you have stock tires?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was going to ask if the Alltrax could be installed without cutting or drilling anything, but it seems that's not the case. It also seems like the Navitas requires cutting as well. Oh well, I guess that's just how it is.

I think I would be fine with 28 mph. Is 10.3:1 the stock gear ratio?

My tires are just slightly larger than stock. I forget the measurement off the top of my head, but they're about a half inch larger than stock.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Don’t think the Alltrax or Navitas would require cutting but would require some wiring. David could tell you more.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... I think I would be fine with 28 mph. Is 10.3:1 the stock gear ratio?
My tires are just slightly larger than stock. ....
I think the stock rear end gear ratio is 12:1 or 11.8:1.
Our tires are slightly larger than stock, too.
With stock gears your speeds would be a bit lower.
A 500A controller would give you more speed than our 400A.
Our motor can only take 400A reliably.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The speed calculator at gaminde.net seems to suggest it's a 12:1 ratio.

By "our motor", are you saying that the stock motor can only take 400 amps? What would the RPM be at 400 amps? If it's 5,000 RPM, it seems I would get around 23.2 mph.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... By "our motor", are you saying that the stock motor can only take 400 amps? ....
The stock motor in my 2003 is a GE motor that can only handle 400A and 6000 RPM.
I think your newer Precedent might have the AMD style motor which can handle 500A and 6500 RPM.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car