lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Ardentj
Not Yet Wild

Lightbulb Taylor Dunn Refurb Madness

Long time lurker, first time caller.
I have a project and I need a little advice.

What I have is a 60s-70s antique teebird. It has a decent diamond plate body and steers/rolls. I ran it the other day for the first time. The motor and rear end are good.

Everything "works", but it has a really scary/rusty rheostat which controls forward/reverse/off and the throttle. It heats up and sparks all over the place.
As bright as an arc welder.
No me gusta.

So,
The motor is a GE series 24v/36v (Came with 6x6v 100ah in series). Aperture and field leads still have yellow and blue which match old hand drawn diagrams (thanks internet).
Based on trying to ID this motor: On 36v it's doing 3HP
4HP * 745 = 2980 / 48 volts = 62a
3HP * 745 = 2237 watts / 36 volts = ~62 amps
2HP * 745 = 1490 / 24 volts= 62a
Is that right?

Let's say my batteries are a series parallel of four of 12v 100ah @1a flooded batteries.
Theyre all conditioned the same, fairly new and free 690cca deep cycles
(also lithium wont work in this climate and agms are $$$)

I'd end up with 24v with 100 ah usable capacity (taking into consideration when they drop below voltage at 50%)
That gives me less than half an hour at 2HP before dead. Right?
I could drop $600 and get a new set of 6x6v to get an extra horsie at roughly same capacity.

I'll get a curtis/kelly/chinese knockoff rated for... 250a ish. Program the controller for half of that to shut off. Theres no hills around here.
Plus A bunch of switches, diode, cutoffs and fuses
Sound good?

I'll finish the thing off with one or two identical PV controller(s) or just 3x750w panels in parallel. Might need an isolator. Then add a buck converter off the solar controller load for accessories.

Am I smoking crack or can this work?

The rear end has a weird off-center adapter. I could find a new one and add a predator instead of building a really slow, dirt cheap (~$450) perpetual motion machine i guess.
Ardentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
taylordunn
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Default Re: Taylor Dunn Refurb Madness

Interesting, Subscribed.
Please post pictures!
taylordunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Taylor Dunn Refurb Madness

I don't really know about your fuzzy math for battery duration, but remember that (very generally) amps=torque and V = speed. Your TD probably ran between 12 and 14mph stock. If you drop 1/3rd of the V you will drop vaguely 1/3rd the speed. So if it ran at 13mph before it'll be 8.5mph now.

My buddy has a 36V TD and we went to 44V lithium on his with a 4P11S pack. Actually, the max we charge his pack to is 44V and depleated at 34V. Gained just about 15% in fully charged V and gained 15% in speed.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, electric, refurb, solar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!