lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Default Cautious about leaf build

So I've been lurking here for quite some time. I've read multiple threads and I think with some patience I can do the LEAF swap.

I had been aquiring the new parts several months ago and then we moved and the whole thing got put on a very long hold.

Other than wiring and some nuts and bolts I think I have almost everything. I'm just having a huge problem really pulling the trigger. I have the old batteries out and started drawing some things up but I just keep second guessing the whole thing.

I originally started this project throwing the easy factor out the window and instead of just buying a drop in that was unproven I purchased my batteries with no intent of looking back.

Months and months later, the drop in market has come a long way. And now I'm back on the fence. Money isn't the concern, I just want something safe that works flawlessly and doesn't make me worry if the wife and kids take off on it without me.

Which is ultimately my concern with the LEAF pack. I know some of you have completed many of these packs without any problems, I'm just not that confident that I can do everything correctly without burning my house down.

I'd love your options, even if you just want to tell me I'm in over my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
a_machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cautious about leaf build

IMO the Leaf modules are better than the drop in solutions that are available. That being said, you need to do it right. Seems like you started off in the right direction. In your drawing, you don't want to do the modules 7 and 7 though. You need to double them up so if you can't fit the whole thing in, you should probably do 6 and 8. You can get plenty of free advice here as many of us have done Leaf module builds with good success. Mine is going strong after over four years. My Yamaha cart had plenty of room for a 14 module unit so that is the way mine was built. There are several good BMS options out there that do a good job of protecting the batteries from over charge / over discharge. That is the key to safety with these modules.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I can't comment on the which is better....a leaf build or a drop in. From what others have posted the drop in's, for the most part, are having great success. (However you define success)

My only experience is with a Leaf build. First a 7 module, then later I added another 7 and I like it a bunch.

The pic below is from my install...not done but essentially how the pack sits.

If you decide to go with a drop in unit, I would recommend that you buy as many amp-hr as you can afford. You won't be sorry with the ability to run longer in-between charges. I would think you could recover most of what you have in the current setup via selling it to someone who wants to build a Leaf pack.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
IMO the Leaf modules are better than the drop in solutions that are available. That being said, you need to do it right. Seems like you started off in the right direction. In your drawing, you don't want to do the modules 7 and 7 though. You need to double them up so if you can't fit the whole thing in, you should probably do 6 and 8. You can get plenty of free advice here as many of us have done Leaf module builds with good success. Mine is going strong after over four years. My Yamaha cart had plenty of room for a 14 module unit so that is the way mine was built. There are several good BMS options out there that do a good job of protecting the batteries from over charge / over discharge. That is the key to safety with these modules.
Thanks, I think I'm going to take my time and just keep posting when I need help.

Thanks for the note on the pack layout, didn't think of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I say stick with it! I had a lot of the same concerns that you are expressing, and am glad I hung in there; it was worth it in the end. And I could not have done it without the help that I got here-there are a lot of really good folks on here that are extremely bright and willing to share their knowledge.

Hang in there, take your time and post up lots of pictures!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a wiring diagram for the split pack that Volt-Amp was speaking of. The Molex 2 Pin at bottom of drawing is not needed with the Chinese BMS you are using. It appears to be the same one I use all the time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium 14 Cell Split Pack - Tap Harness.pdf (146.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

I know how you feel. I fretted a Leaf build too. I followed Sergio’s thread and posted my experience there. Sergio, Ping Eye3, and others were helpful as I had questions. The cart has performed perfectly for about a year now. Take your time and I believe you will surprise yourself on how well it goes. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want to add the Sergio mods, here is the drawing with his relay system added.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
a_machinist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
If you want to add the Sergio mods, here is the drawing with his relay system added.
Wow that makes me feel a lot better, something I'm used to looking at lol. Thank you so much.

How much changes to that 14 cell drawing if I put them all together?
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I know I'm a little late to these threads, but you might reach out to these guys to see if they have this same thing for 48V. It makes putting those Leaf packs together pretty simple;
https://www.techdirectclub.com/36v-1...breaker-meter/
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car