lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
grampie365
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement carb suggestions

I am looking for a replacement carb for my 2003 EZGO ST480 Workhorse with Vanguard 16hp engine. I received the cart partially disassembled and the previous owner had a cheap aftermarket carb on it with throttle connection that pulls the wrong way and will not connect to existing throttle cable. Need the throttle connection like the attachment. Trying to keep it simple, but it seems it is not that easy! B&S says my engine calls for carb # 845772 which is no longer available. And they said there were no #'s to replace that one or cross reference to. I would think there are some carbs out there that will fit and work without modification, but I could be wrong. I don't mind spending $$ on it, but don't want to throw money at it without knowing something that will work. Any suggestions are appreciated. (I posted something similar in EZGO Gas but not getting any responses. Thought I would give it a shot here.) Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle_shaft.JPG (25.2 KB, 0 views)
grampie365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Replacement carb suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampie365 View Post
I am looking for a replacement carb for my 2003 EZGO ST480 Workhorse with Vanguard 16hp engine. I received the cart partially disassembled and the previous owner had a cheap aftermarket carb on it with throttle connection that pulls the wrong way and will not connect to existing throttle cable. Need the throttle connection like the attachment. Trying to keep it simple, but it seems it is not that easy! B&S says my engine calls for carb # 845772 which is no longer available. And they said there were no #'s to replace that one or cross reference to. I would think there are some carbs out there that will fit and work without modification, but I could be wrong. I don't mind spending $$ on it, but don't want to throw money at it without knowing something that will work. Any suggestions are appreciated. (I posted something similar in EZGO Gas but not getting any responses. Thought I would give it a shot here.) Thanks.
Briggs still makes a carb for those engines. I just looked one up for my 16 a couple months ago. What's the full model number on your engine?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
grampie365
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Briggs still makes a carb for those engines. I just looked one up for my 16 a couple months ago. What's the full model number on your engine?
303440 1410 E1* *01070911

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
grampie365
Not Yet Wild

And slonomo, my son and his buddies were trying to make up names from a No Smoking sign one day when they were kids. He came up with "King Smono" and used that as a nickname for a while .... which I think of when I see your username. Ha. Thanks for your help looking up that carb. Mike
Old 03-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampie365 View Post
And slonomo, my son and his buddies were trying to make up names from a No Smoking sign one day when they were kids. He came up with "King Smono" and used that as a nickname for a while .... which I think of when I see your username. Ha. Thanks for your help looking up that carb. Mike
That's funny!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I looked up your carb number, sure enough, not available. But here's the thing. I've used no less than 3 different carbs on my 16 engine, all from different models, all work just fine. So the deal with the different carbs is the little things like where the adjustment screws are etc. There is no difference is how it runs. Any 16hp Vanguard horizontal engine carb will work. You can even use a carb from an 18hp engine for a little more power.

Look up my model number 303447

Here's what I came up with. The Briggs carbs are not cheap!!! But if you want a new one this will work just fine. The hookups and the adjustments might be in slightly different configurations, but it will work.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ca...-p-544483.html

As far as the throttle cable goes? I used my governor rod and lever arm to hook up my factory Yamaha G1 cable to and it works flawlessly. I had to get some little brass cable stops at the auto parts store, but it wasn't anything crazy to rig it up. Pretty easy actually.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
grampie365
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I looked up your carb number, sure enough, not available. But here's the thing. I've used no less than 3 different carbs on my 16 engine, all from different models, all work just fine. So the deal with the different carbs is the little things like where the adjustment screws are etc. There is no difference is how it runs. Any 16hp Vanguard horizontal engine carb will work. You can even use a carb from an 18hp engine for a little more power.

As far as the throttle cable goes? I used my governor rod and lever arm to hook up my factory Yamaha G1 cable to and it works flawlessly. I had to get some little brass cable stops at the auto parts store, but it wasn't anything crazy to rig it up. Pretty easy actually.
Thank again for your help with this. I think I found one that will work. I located a new old stock Briggs 843129 that I ordered. Will keep you posted!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!