lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Fuel pump supply preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Slo, when you say switch the needle valve, do you mean drill it, use an adjustable main, or get a different main. If the latter, what should I be looking for and where?
Most clone engines in stock form are set up to feed fuel from a tank that sits on top of the engine using gravity to supply the pressure. By adding a fuel pump you are increasing the pressure significantly and the needle valve isn't set up to handle that kind of pressure. Even though the fuel bowl is full and the needle valve is closed, the fuel pump still pumps fuel at pressure. The valve is responsible for keeping the fuel from entering the bowl. That needle valve (aka needle and seat) is what might need to be changed in order to work with a pressure supply (fuel pump). Aftermarket carbs usually have the proper needle valve.

Another thing that most clones need is a fuel return line. If your fuel supply line is 1/4", you have to install a brass T fitting in the line that goes to the carb, as close to the carb as you can, then run a 3/16" line back to the tank (smaller diameter). This will allow lower pressure to remain at the carb while allowing excess fuel to bypass and go back to the tank. Lots of threads here about this.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2021, 10:35 PM   #12
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did add a fuel return line. The pulse from the carb intake was really strong and was flooding out the carb. I was amazed at how much fuel was traveling through the fuel return when I started it up after adding it. It’s a transparent fuel line so it was visible. I had read in the threads somewhere where Geoff , the owner of VC said they only use the carb intake for pulse and always put a fuel return line in. I can understand why now. After adding the return line, the cart started up and ran very nicely, though I have to choke it very briefly every time I start it. It also at the higher RPM’s either activated the rev limiter or doesn’t have quite enough fuel flow to satisfy the engine’s demand. I need a better tach than the cheap Chinese digital knock off that I had on the cart when the KF82 was in it. Either one can be fixed as I understand it. The rev limiter can be overcome with a NR Racing coil, and the fuel starving by enlarging the main jet. The tach should be able to tell me which it is I presume.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #13
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoezgo View Post
Gravity fed from remote elevated tank. Zero problems
That is a mighty purty tank though. 😻
Old 02-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The reason your carb was flooding was not due to the strong fuel pulse, but because that carb is designed for gravity feed. Those fuel pumps only supply a few pounds of pressure and flow is fairly low. But those pumps work the same way on all kinds of different engines without the flooding issues and without return lines, because they have carbs that were designed for pump use.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

You would know better than me Slo. This cart popped my clone swap cherry. I will say that the amount of fuel that i could see returning to the tank seemed robust for such a little pump. I have filed away the carb recommendations of a couple of you clone veterans though. If it turns out to be a PITA, I’ll swap it out for something better suited to the purpose. Thanks for monitoring my progress. Having this forum feels like being back in shop class. There’s someone watching over your shoulder letting you figure stuff out but there to stop you from screwing up too badly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps