lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Freckles
Gone Wild

Default Harley HEI conversion problems

So i have a 1972 harley that i did the Hei conversion on this spring. Got it all hooked up and away i went. Ran smoother than it ever did. One day i came home from a short ride and noticed a pool of gas on my concrete. Thought i had it fixed and went to take off and nothing. Got my inline spark tester out and now i only get one spark when i let off the petal. Well i thought i burned up my ignition module so i ordered a couple of $10 ones off ebay hooked them up and still one spark when i let off the petal. Ok, so i replaced the transistor and resistor and no changes. I am at a loss. I have been doing some reading and found another thread where someone had the same problem but there was no conclusion to that thread. I have looked over my wiring 20 times. Any ideas for me?
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley HEI conversion problems

Did you open up your point cover to make sure that they are spinning and opening / closing as they should? Crazy thought but I would make sure that your crankshaft is spinning as it is supposed to.

The gas thing is strange. Where was that coming from?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Freckles
Gone Wild

Yes, i have the points cover off and they are opening and closing as they should. I ended up putting a carb kit in my tillotson and i thought i had it fixed until i put a couple gallons of fuel in it. every time the gas level is higher than the carb it just poured out. bought an ebay carb and seems fine. I actually converted back to points and it was running fine but not as well as with the hei.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Yes, i have the points cover off and they are opening and closing as they should. I ended up putting a carb kit in my tillotson and i thought i had it fixed until i put a couple gallons of fuel in it. every time the gas level is higher than the carb it just poured out. bought an ebay carb and seems fine. I actually converted back to points and it was running fine but not as well as with the hei.
One thing they don't tell you in the conversion instructions. DO NOT leave the key on with it not running. The HEI box will burn out.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/...wiringdiagrams
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Freckles
Gone Wild

well, ive probably left the key on but ive tried three different HEI modules with the same result. I tried unhooking the wire from the points and i still get the same result. One spark when i let off the petal. Tried running a new wire inbetween and same result. Hook the points back up and away i go so i know its putting out a signal.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
One thing they don't tell you in the conversion instructions. DO NOT leave the key on with it not running. The HEI box will burn out.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/...wiringdiagrams
Interesting. I hadn't heard this. I have used this set up on two Columbias for 5 years and never had an issue.

How the heck do you run a cart with the key being off to begin with?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Interesting. I hadn't heard this. I have used this set up on two Columbias for 5 years and never had an issue.

How the heck do you run a cart with the key being off to begin with?
I think you need to read what I wrote again - put your glasses on
Old 08-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
I think you need to read what I wrote again - put your glasses on
Indeed. That's my adhd kicking in.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Indeed. That's my adhd kicking in.
Your cool - was just trying to help -- some of these conversions work great but have a weak spot no one speaks about or even knows.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Did you ever figure out what was going on? Key on should not be a problem for the Harley's because power goes from battery - circuit breaker - key - gas pedal switch - then spits to the coil and solenoid. So even if the key is on no power to the coil. I would except carts to all be more or less the same since they turn off when you take your foot off the gas. They shut off because its killing the power to the coil.

Now a lawnmower like the link talks about, that is a different story. Those could be more like a car where key on coil on and it doesn't matter if engine is running or not.

The one spark thing is interesting and does sound like you are not getting a pulsed trigger so you only get one signal as the power goes away. Is there a condenser still in place?

My setup I installed both a 'power' LED as well as one across the trigger so if I don't see it flashing during cranking I know something is up. Those 2 LED's have saved me hours of troubleshooting. I think I'm ahead that way over just doing a much nicer job of the conversion in the first place.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson