lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #31
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Columbia Par Car Points Conversion

Do you have a parts blow up for your cart? I am just interested in seeing how that points cam attaches. My 85s are together via the picture. Everything has to be pressed on / off at a machine shop. Part #9 actually serves as the points cam on my carts. Maybe the 91s are different?
Attached Images
File Type: png Crank1.PNG (59.6 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #32
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Apparently they started the solid state ignition system in 1986. The 86-88 GS service manual (which isn't really a servic manual) states you can install the solid state ignition in 69-85 models with one of three rotor assemblies. I assume this installing the magnet over the cam. This isn't what your wanting but I wanted to pass the information.

VintageGolfCartParts sells a point cam for 69-81 models D-D4 which looks like it is a standalone unit (not attached to the crankshaft).

Point Cam

I'm not sure how that would fit earlier models since I also thought they were all made onto the crankshaft.

Now their points plate does say "Can also be used for converting 1986 to 1995 Columbia Par Car/Harley Davidson electronic ignition back to a points ignition system."

Points Plate

So you would use this plate in the conversion, but there is no information about the cam fitting or what else you need to have or do. It looks like it is possible to change to points, but I have no idea about having a cam on your engine.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #33
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

I've looked at these manuals:
89 GSEL
90 GSEL
91-92 GSEL

The diagrams for the crank still shows the cam on the end. The ignition section says nothing about a cam but to time it you still have to rotate the plate around to time it. Maybe they didn't update their pictures in the manual.

Looks like in 96 they went to 4 strokes. The only thing I have thought of is to take off the cage fan housing and see if your truly looking at the end of the crankshaft. Maybe there are two pieces there and it looks like one. I doubt it, but you may get lucky.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Guys,

Check out the information that another person posted in that "par car coils going bad" thread. It turns out that those modules require resistance of between 3.4 and 4.2 ohms in that part of the circuit. That's far higher than I ever expected. I have 4.8 ohms on my 3 wheeler and I thought that was overkill. As it turns out it isn't much higher than what is called for.

Just something to think about if you can't make that point system work out. If you have to go with that ignition module make sure you have a ton of resistance.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #35
Lg96gt
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Apparently they started the solid state ignition system in 1986. The 86-88 GS service manual (which isn't really a servic manual) states you can install the solid state ignition in 69-85 models with one of three rotor assemblies. I assume this installing the magnet over the cam. This isn't what your wanting but I wanted to pass the information.

VintageGolfCartParts sells a point cam for 69-81 models D-D4 which looks like it is a standalone unit (not attached to the crankshaft).

Point Cam

I'm not sure how that would fit earlier models since I also thought they were all made onto the crankshaft.

Now their points plate does say "Can also be used for converting 1986 to 1995 Columbia Par Car/Harley Davidson electronic ignition back to a points ignition system."

Points Plate

So you would use this plate in the conversion, but there is no information about the cam fitting or what else you need to have or do. It looks like it is possible to change to points, but I have no idea about having a cam on your engine.
Been a crazy busy week at work and to many projects after work! Sorry I disappeared for a couple days! I'm going to call the guys at vintagegolfcartparts and see if they have a solution. I did some digging and that is the end of the crankshaft. I was thinking maybe the points cam slips over that and bolts in the current holes where the module goes, then the points would just sit over the top of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Guys,

Check out the information that another person posted in that "par car coils going bad" thread. It turns out that those modules require resistance of between 3.4 and 4.2 ohms in that part of the circuit. That's far higher than I ever expected. I have 4.8 ohms on my 3 wheeler and I thought that was overkill. As it turns out it isn't much higher than what is called for.

Just something to think about if you can't make that point system work out. If you have to go with that ignition module make sure you have a ton of resistance.
I'm not sure how but I completely missed that post over there and I didn't find that in the manual yet! It's to late for this module but now I'm wondering if its worth the $150 gamble to try another module along with an additional resistor...it would make sense that after 24 years my original coil started to go downhill and fried the first module and when I replaced it the resistance wasn't near enough that it fried the second one also! it's cheaper to go that route than replace everything electrical in the entire cart (which i am about to resort to!)
Lg96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar